Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Kids Are All Right

This afternoon Marlene and I went to see "The Kids Are All Right" which, if you aren't familiar with it, is about a lesbians couple who each had a child using the same donor and when the daughter turns 18 she contacts the sperm bank and gets in contact with the donor. The plot then follows the donor getting to know the family and the chaos that comes of that.

I got to see the movie for free thanks to the Regal Points program. The last time I went to see a movie, the ticket receipt printer gave me the nice surprise of a free movie ticket. Nice!

Anyway...there was a line in the movie that really stuck with me and rings oh so true. I'm totally paraphrasing but it went something like this:

"Marriage is hard. It's hard work every single day. And at some point you stop seeing the other person and instead you begin to see them through your own projected junk."

Sounds hauntingly familiar.

It was a really good movie though to be honest, I would have liked a bit more closure at the end but that's me. I like a nice tidy ending. Still - definitely worth seeing if it comes to your area. I know here it is showing at only one theater (downtown Portland) but on four screens. That's it though - no other theater in the area. I know in lots of places all over the country it will never see screen time so add it to your Netflix list for when it comes out.

No comments: