Monday, December 08, 2008

What's In A Name?

Besides the usual terms of endearment, we don't have official nicknames for the children. We use things like sweetie pie, bug, doodle, etc. but we don't have shortened versions of their names.

I remember when we told people the name we had picked for Kelton. Many people looked at us as they absorbed it and then said "But what will you call him?"

Blink.

"What do you mean 'what will we call him'? We'll call him Kelton."

"No nickname?"

"No. No nickname. We like his name and that is what he will be called."

The same situation repeated itself for Kaylen. Weird. I don't think I've ever once asked someone what else they would call their child when they told me the baby's name.

Anyway.....when Kelton was just a bit under two, and learning to say his name, he took to calling himself "Kelty". We, of course, thought it was beyond adorable but still would correct people who began calling him that. He could call himself that, yes. But others? No. (Well - my sister latched onto it and still calls him at time in play that and it's fine. Dakota and I still call him at every now and again, too. But no one else better dare.) He outgrew it in a matter of months and began using his proper name.

Kaylen, when learning to speak took to calling him Telton. Again, adorable. But only from her. In the past few weeks she has come up with her own nickname for her much adored big brother; Kelt.

Whenever she is talking with him I hear "Ok, Kelt?" or "Kelt? Will you play with me?" It's freaking ADORABLE!!!!! And he doesn't mind at all. When I asked him he said "Nah - it's ok. She's my little sister."

Sweet!

I love hearing her call him that.....but no one else better! :)

10 comments:

Tanya said...

Very sweet. For some reason the kids at J's school were calling him Justy for a bit or the longer justy fusty, which were both really annoying. I usually just call him Justus but on occasion if he's not listening I might say "Jay" or if if I'm being playful Jus-tece. At his old school they sometimes called him Jusjis and R hated that!

Stacey said...

People always want to know the nickname. Just like when we said we were naming our son Jackson, people automatically say, "Will you call him Jack?" Or when my sister was named Jessie and people always assume her name must be Jessica because Jessie must just be the nickname. Annoying.

Shannon said...

Yeah, we get that too, since there isn't really a nickname for Erik. Other than Rick, I guess, which is so not happening!

Kim really likes shortened versions of names, though. When we were picking out names when she was pregnant with Erik she liked Meg but not Megan, Sam but not Samuel, etc. I think I've convinced her that even if we want to call a baby by a shortened name, we should at least GIVE them a full proper name in case they'd like to use it sometime! LOL.

When I was in school people started calling me Nan and my mom HATED it. It stuck too, lots of people still call me that.

Love Kaylen's new nicknames for Kelton.

Mimi said...

I agree I don't care for nicknames so that is why I named my child Amy and Adam no nicknames there....yeah right....the DAY I bought my daughter home from the hospital my called my daughter Aimers yep to this day (29 years later) she STILL calls my daughter Aimers...HATE IT

A Jersey Girl said...

Ah, talk about nicknames, my oldest two are named Declan and Killian. Like you I was asked often what we would call them and I would replay with their names. Well, they are not always and Dec and Kill are just not great nicknames:)

When Killian was younger she would call Declan, Decly it was fine from her, but the cuteness ended there:)

Killian, on the other hand, does get called Killi often and that doesn't bother us so much.

Melanie said...

Isn't it funny about the nickname thing? As you know, I am ALL about them! Weird how people's preferences differ. :)

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you choose names because you liked the names, and not the shortened versions they would go by. My parents went with the same theory. Which is why I am Nikki, not Nicole.

'Kelt' really is very cute though. And it's all good when the siblings conjure up such nicknames. It's in their nature to find ways around the many syllables.

Froggymama said...

My sister's nickname for me was Wienie. So yeah, I'm not a big fan.

But Kelt is pretty cute, especially from 'his little sister.'

SJayneI said...

I agree with you in theory, since I hate any shortened version of my own name. I prefer Stephanie, not Steph, not Stephie (which is what my family called my, hence why my neices and nephews call my Peppy). Anyway, that being said, we named our daughter IsaBella just so we can call her Bella. We also really like IsaBella and will call her that as well. And, when she is old enought to have a preference, we will respect that and call her what she wants.

Monogram Queen said...

I do wonder where "nicknames" come from... might have to google it!

I knew when we named Madison that she would be "Maddie" to some.
My own private nickname I gave her as a wee infant is Tiny B. She still loves to be called that!