Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas Break Arrives Early

We woke this morning to news of school closure which means the Christmas Break has officially begun! Two weeks of fun-filled holiday time sprinkled with sibling arguments and refrains of "I'm bored!". Maybe that is actually the opposite of what it will be because as you may or may not know, we've already been on a break for two days (well - and add to that Kelton was home sick last Friday....).

Let's recap the week....Monday was my birthday and even though there was some of the ice and snow on the ground from the weekend, school went on as scheduled. Dakota had the day off to spend the day with me. Tuesday Kelton went to school but since Dakota works high on a hill in one of the worst snow-hit areas, she stayed home and worked a bit while caring for Kaylen while I worked the afternoon shift at the Christmas store at school. Wednesday we were supposed to have a big storm and district announced closures the night before. Dakota stayed home. The storm never arrived.

Thursday Dakota left for work as usual and the kids and I had our regular morning. I was working fast and furiously to get the three of us ready for a day away from the house as I was to be at the Christmas store all day. I had even arranged with Kelton's teacher from last year for Kaylen to join her class if she became too restless. While I was doing breakfast dishes I looked out the window and thought "Huh. The grass looks so white. Weird." It was still mostly dark outside. But then....oh but then....the flakes grew so heavy that it would be impossible not to notice that it was snowing. A lot.

What to do now? I called the school to see if they were going to start late, dismiss early or close all together. I finally got through only to be told "We don't know." Lovely. More snow falling and accumulating than in the prior days and they don't know. Granted, high school was already in session and middle schools where just about to begin.

I load the kids and all the stuff in the car and start out the driveway...only to slide completely down the driveway incline. Yikes. I put it in drive and start out. The back end slides and I'm barely moving. Hmmm. Not great. I am not a good snow driver and I know this (unlike all those who think they can and then end up wrapped around telephone poles or smashed into other cars). I go down about two houses and think better of it. I turn around and get back into the driveway. We aren't going anywhere. My car is nothing special and certainly doesn't have any fancy performance parts for snow driving.

We go in the house and I start making phone calls and sending emails. Dakota, at this point, is already on her way home. She arrives home and says "Except in the neighborhood, the streets are just wet." I decide I should try to make it into the school for the store. At least I can help pack it up when the call an early release. I leave the kids with Dakota and go over to the school. She is right, the main streets were ok.

The snow is falling like crazy. Still. I am positive early dismissal is coming. They even cancel PM kindergarten and all afterschool and evening activities.

I end up working the store until the end of the day. Several of us were there and we got kids in and out and gifts were bought. Around 2pm we started boxing things up. We were sent 15 boxes of merchandise and we are only sending back 3.5. I'd say the store was a huge hit! And I know there were many, many happy children.

The snow was all but melted by late afternoon.

I got back home and found the kids and Dakota had been having a great day! They even made a snow Mickey Mouse in the yard (which later lost its ears and became a snow squirrel. I feel a little bad about Kelton missing school but then, I am a firm believer in enjoying snow. It doesn't happen often here and it should be experienced and enjoyed!

Right about 5, the snow started falling again and the yard returned to its glory of the morning. Everyone tumbled out to play some more.

Last night we went to bed knowing that it could freeze and possibly snow a bit more. I had hoped there would be school today because I know it was supposed to be a fun day with a sing along assembly and tons of art projects and celebrating. Kelton had a card and gift to give to his teacher. Sadly, Kelton didn't get to have his "fun at school" day but don't feel too sorry for him - he had a blast in the snow this morning. :)

Rumor has it (well the weatherman are saying it but I'm beginning to think of them as rumor mills....) it should get really cold again and snow more tomorrow. And then on Sunday we'll have an ice storm.

And again, I say "We'll see."

And how is all this family togetherness going? Let me again repeat "I was hoping there would be school today." and I'll add "And work." I love my family and I love being together but it's been a long, stressful week and I could have used a day to recenter and have a little down time. It's a lot to have all four of us together for days on end. And I know Dakota is feeling the same way.

No rest for the weary though; next up is Christmas! :)



2 comments:

Tanya said...

I'll be thinking of you next week as I become a week long sahm since daycare is closed. We'll be baking lots of cookies and running some errands and I will remember why work is so much easier then your job :)

Audra said...

Yikes! But great that you were able to get out and help. I remember they had one of those stores when I was in elementary school, and I always felt really special that I could buy something for my parents and brother all on my own.