Thursday, December 11, 2008

Brrrrrr!

I'm cold. As in *really* cold. Our thermostat is directly outside the laundry room which means when the dryer is running (almost constantly today) the thermostat thinks it is plenty warm and doesn't allow the furnace to kick on. Let me tell you - the only place it is plenty warm is *inside* the laundry room. Heck - today it just might be inside the dryer itself.

I have an issue (as in the almighty dollar and saving as many as possible) with kicking up the heat and manually over-riding the preset day temp of 68 degrees (I can actually hear my mother's voice saying "If you're cold, put on a sweater!"). I know lots of people keep their preset temp lower than that - and kudos to all of you. I can't do it. I think about pushing it down a degree or two but I just can't do it. Maybe when the next electric bill arrives. :)

Mom would be proud though - I'm bundled up. More so than usual. But I'm still cold. I don't do well in the cold. My whole syringomyelia really seems to act up in the cold temps which make my nerves misfire and, in general, makes me miserable. (I'm guessing when Dakota reads this her first thought will be "Excellent! Let's move somewhere tropical!" No dice, love. I, like you, am Pacific Northwest born and bred and I love it here. Even when I'm cold and miserable. Sorry. We can revisit it next year though, ok? :) )

The simple thing (Simple? Maybe not but logical, yes.) would be to relocate the thermostat. Maybe to our bedroom since it's like the freakin' arctic in there (which is great at night - I love cool temps for sleeping)! But that means holes in the wall to take care of and calling someone in to do the actually relocating. Maybe some day. When we're rich. HA!

For now - I'll just freeze and fantasize about curling up in the basket of warm dry clothes that I just took out of the dryer.


PS...Stella? Is this what you meant by my having a "unique perspective"? *grinning*

6 comments:

Julie said...

I know how you feel, it's REALLY cold and I'm too cheap to turn up the heat. I don't usually have mine set over 65 or 66 degrees. Your 68 sounds nice and toasty!

Casey said...

Julie: 68 would have been nice but sadly, with the dryer running most of the day today, it got down to 60.7 degrees in the living room. Just too cold! Brrrr. And hats off to you for being able to keep your heat so low. I wish I could do that to save money but I just can't. I keep it at 64 overnight though. :)

Mimi said...

OMG we keep our house at 72 yes you heard me....72 holy shit....but it's electric heat but still 72...I don't think my husband has any blood..... and we don't lower it in the night....crazy I say....but if I lower it all I hear is my husband complaining.....

Rainbow Momma said...

Have you found more of that peppermint mocha creamer? You could brew some coffee and warm up with a nice hot cup in your hands.

BTW, you got me hooked. I look for it everywhere I go. I got lucky once, but I had the last of it in my coffee this morning. I don't usually like chocolate and peppermint. In fact, I'm usually more of a pumpkin freak. But I tried it after your post and now I'm hooked! Thanks ... thanks a lot! LOL!

Casey said...

Mere: Sorry for getting you hooked. *big grin* Nah...not really. It's good and I think everyone should enjoy it. :) I have been able to find it here and there so when I see it, I stock up with five. :)

Monogram Queen said...

I love warm clothes out of the dryer so i'm all with that idea! Hey it will be near 80 for the next three days here. Don't hate!