Thursday, December 11, 2008

To Do or Not To Do

Kaylen and I were waiting at the bus stop tonight for Kelton. When the bus pulled up, the driver motioned to me and then pointed to her cheek. I had no idea what she was getting at until Kelton stepped off the bus.

His cheeks were blazing red and he looked worn out! Poor buddy! I immediately reached for his forehead and found it very warm.

Damn.

I swear he was not feverish when I sent him to school this morning. He told me his throat felt much better and he seemed pretty darn healthy to me. Healthy enough to run around and play (and fight) with his sister just like every morning. He ate a good breakfast and was compliant getting ready for school. He even did 20 minutes of reading.

And yet....here he was right in front of me. Ugh.

We came in the house and my phone was ringing. It was the PTO president to talk about all the stuff we had to do tomorrow to get the room ready for the start of the Christmas Store that opens Monday. I talked with him but then had to break the news that I had no idea what tomorrow holds since Kelton is looking and feeling feverish.

I got off the phone and located the thermometer. I placed it under his tongue and before he closed his mouth it was already past 100 degrees. I know under 102 is considered low grade for kids but it still scares me to have it over 100 degrees. I gave him Mortin and settled him in my bed with a Christmas movie.

He doesn't seem incredibly sick (I've seen worse without a fever) but he is sick enough to have bought himself a day of rest tomorrow. And I have bought a day of feeling incredibly guilty for not being able to help during this incredibly busy time at the school. I was supposed to be there at 9 to get the fliers into the teachers hands, then head to playgroup and then back to the school in the early afternoon to setting up the store. People are were counting on me and while I know it will all get done, I still feel guilty for not being able to help.

This is when I wish I could easily clone myself.

But really? It's a no brainer. My children come first and he clearly needs to rest. *sigh*

8 comments:

Kristen said...

poor guy again! Audrey's sick too, with just a cold and no fever, thankfully. I hope the day of rest helps him. Maybe he picked up too many germs b/c of the gap in his teeth, LOL.

Perrin said...

Sick kids definitly throw a wrench in the plans. I worked so hard yesterday to get ready for hosting playgroup..cooked everything and had to cancel today. C'est la vie.

Unknown said...

How is he doing this morning? Is he staying home. I know the feeling of how to choose between things you want/need to do and have a sick child at home. I have experienced that a million times over. Hope he is feeling better! Jeri

Rainbow Momma said...

Bless his heart! And yours. Hope he feels better soon.

Ree said...

Hope he is feeling better!!

Non-Offending Parent said...

I hope that the poor guy is feeling better soon and that everyone else stays healthy. We are all down with pinkeye, including poor K who is at a final.

When is D finished with her exams this week? I always miss having backup when someone is sick.

Good luck with your school fundraising! Hope it is a huge success.

Casey said...

Jennifer: D took her last final yesterday so she is on break until the 12th. We're almost there - can you even believe it????? :)

Monogram Queen said...

We know what is best but we still have guilt. Mom's can't win when it comes to guilt! Hope the little guy gets to feeling better QUICK!