Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Day or Night?

Kelton isn't feeling great today. He woke at 2:30AM asking Dakota for Tylenol because he had a sore throat. She gave it to him and tucked him into bed with her (I had already moved into Kaylen's room). He couldn't settle down and sleep for the longest time and she finally moved him back into his room. He still couldn't sleep so he came into Kaylen's room and slept in the toddler bed that is in there (she sleeps in a queen bed...don't ask. It's all very complicated but it works for us). At 4AM, he bounded into our bedroom and excitedly said "It's 6! Time to get up!"

Uh no. Get back into bed. He did but I doubt he really went back to sleep. He still had a sore throat, poor guy.

And poor Dakota. She had an 8:30AM final (which frankly, was a blessing since she still had enough energy to take it as opposed to waiting until 6:00 tonight). When I asked her why she didn't just send him to me to take care of, she said she didn't know. Typically, my nighttime child duty is Kaylen and hers is Kelton (though 9 out of 10 times he sleeps clear through the nights now - thank goodness!) but I would have stepped in to make sure she got enough sleep for her test. I actually didn't hear a thing - not even when he came in and got into the toddler bed next to my head.

Anyway......he was ok enough to go to school (besides a sore throat and mild congestion he was acting totally fine) and it was a half day so off he went. I just knew he would be exhausted by afternoon.

And no surprise - he was. Around 3pm he turned off his computer game and went back to our room to snuggle under a blanket and watch TV. Kaylen and I watched with him for a bit and then I left to take a phone call. About 15 minutes later, Kaylen came to the front of the house. I asked "Is Kelton awake back there?" She said he was.

I went back about 10 minutes later and he was sound asleep. It was 3:40. Yikes.

I decided to just let him sleep. Maybe he'd sleep through the night (though he would need to be changed out of his sweater and jeans and into jammies).

I have to say, the late afternoon hours with only one child is a breeze! The house was so quiet and calm - and actually lonely feeling without the afternoon chaos happening. I caught up on some things and then set about making dinner for Kaylen. As I had the pasta cooking, Kelton wandered down the hall. He looked at me with big confusion all over his face and said "What are you doing up and where is Mom?" I said "Mom is at work and I'm cooking dinner."

"Work? Already? It's only 5!" he said looking absolutely crushed.

And then it dawned on me. He thought it was 5AM! I explained that he had only taken a 90 minute nap and it was dinnertime. It took a few minutes for him to make sense of it - I mean, after all, it was pitch dark when he woke up. He rarely wakes at night anymore so he logically assumed he slept all night.

He never quite shook the sleepiness and gratefully went to sleep at 7pm. I hope he feels better in the morning. My poor little bug.

4 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

Poor fellow I hope he's feeling better. I wish my kid's energy level would crash. She just won't sleep this week. Maybe pre-christmas excitement?!!!

Tanya said...

I hope he's feeling better. Oh and I need to stop reading your blog, you make me change my mind all the time about having #2. Afternoon chaos and all.

Stacey said...

hope he's feeling better!

Kristen said...

poor little guy! how was he doing this morning?