Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Oh sure- rub it in.

I have a birthday coming and while I love that I get to have another birthday because it means I am still alive and kicking, I am kind of bothered that I just keep getting older.

Which is why the following situation was a big hard to take.

In the previous post, I shared how we get bath stuff for the kids stockings. The night I was buying the things I was alone in the store. I placed my items (clearly child heavy) on the belt. The checker, in her mid-20's and pregnant, looked at my stuff and ever so casually asked:

"Are you getting ready to have the grandkids over?"

*THUD*

I stammered a bit before finding my ground and replied "Umm..no. These are for my kids."

She takes a long look at me and I can feel her calculating my (almost) 44 years. She says "Oh - I'm sorry."

Yeah. Yeah I'm sure you are.

Sheesh!!

Ok ...once I stepped back and could look at it without feeling incredibly insulted, I can see where she figured I was probably her mom's age. Which....if she was in her mid-20's probably means her mom is.....*drum roll please* my age. OUCH! It's been years since I have been asked if I'm the kids grandmother...and I will be happy not to have to deal with that question again for many more.

Happy (almost) Birthday to me. *sigh*

Pass the Geritol, please.

10 comments:

MJV said...

That girl is nuts. You don't look ANYWHERE close to grandmother age, lady. Stupid girl. Grrr.

Monogram Queen said...

Casey I have been there too and it pisses me off as well!!!!

Tact, people. A little tact!

There sure are "challenges" being a forty-something Mom to little ones. I think that's part of what attracted me to your blog.

Monogram Queen said...

Oh and may I also add you do NOT look like anybody's Grandma AT ALL.

A Jersey Girl said...

Oh Casey, thanks for sharing- you made me laugh, hard:)

And I agree, you so don't look like a grandma!

Unknown said...

Man, that's sucks. But sometimes you do just have to laugh at things that, when you look at impartially, do sort of make sense. Not that I would ever think of you as their gma, but from the checker's standpoint... A girl in my church class was talking once about riding on an inner tube with many people, and says, "It's always more fun with fat people on there too...(looks at me) no offense." I felt fab that day :)

SJayneI said...

I also hate the 'grandma' comments. I get them from time to time myself, but the absolute WORST came from my MIL. I was talking about someone referring to me as Bella's grandma, when she said, 'Well, you are old enough.' Um, thanks?!?!?

Melanie said...

I'm laughing b/c she is so obviously CLUELESS!! You are soooo not grandma-ish, Casey!! Consider the source... she's probably not even in her mid-20s. She's probably 17.

Lynilu said...

Ridiculous. People are having children at all ages, and her assumption was not only rude, but indicative of her lack of insight.

Shame on her.

You don't look grandmotherly. Yes, you could be, but you don't look it. I can't believe how short sighted people can be. gah.

Mimi said...

Times are different.....I just turned 50 on the 8th and my children are 29 and 25....HOWEVER in my day people had their children at a younger age....I do in home child care and all of my parents are in there mid to late
30's.....just remember when we were young we weren't able to tell age also....remember when elivs died?? Hell I thought he was old so why was everyone shocked he died???? Heck he was young.....lol

traci said...

My mother was a grandmother at age 42! Here I am at 43 and my girls are no where near ready to have babies. In this day and age, it's never a good idea to assume is it? Although, if that girl is in her mid-20's, she's not old enough to have a clue yet! Heehee...