Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Stuffed

Most of the gifts have been bought (all but two) and I've started making a dent in the stocking stuffer arena. The kids are pretty easy; lots of bath and bathroom related items (bubble bath, bath paint, bath foam, toothbrushes, toothpaste) because they go nutty for that type of stuff and we don't buy it all that often (well - the toothbrush and paste we do. *grin*). I like getting this type of stuff for them because I know where I can store it and I know it will be used up and gone within a matter of weeks and months. I still want to find a couple fun things to put in there too - as well as the traditional M&M guys on the long tube of candy and a candy cane.

Dakota has me a bit stumped though. Last year we both, unknowingly, did the theme of hand and foot lotions, creams, etc. (Did you notice the theme we stick with? Things we'll use instead of small stuff that will linger forever.) This year, I'd like to get away from that stuff since neither of us have Plantar Fasciitis or anything of the sort that requires constant attention. But what does that leave?

Traditionally, and this year especially, we don't want to break the bank on stocking gifts. I'd rather stay away from movies and CD's since those add up quickly in cost. Books are tough because she doesn't have time to read for the fun during school time. Hmmm....so that leaves me with what? Cold care? :)

So what type of things do you put in stockings and/or love to get in your stockings? I'm looking for ideas and I know you are just the group of people to provide them! :)

5 comments:

Zach said...

What about fun school supplies? Like neat post-it notes or cool highlighters that are a little nicer than the ones she usually uses/can "borrow" from the office? I don't know what she uses to stay awake while reading, but some sort of variety of tea flavors or honey sticks might be nice.

Monogram Queen said...

Oh the stockings are one of my favorite things. I put puzzle books in Stacy's. Back when he "dipped" I put cans of Renegades in too. (but Thank God he quit - Ewww).
Okay i'm not being very helpful am I?
Does she chew gum? How about a little flashlight for the car. I think Zach gave some great ideas.

Perrin said...

Does D enjoy cooking? There are many funny cooking tools like egg slicer, mushroom washers, silly stuff at Bed Bath and Beyond. Once I got little hand warmers to put in pockets. Candy.

Anonymous said...

For the kids (in no particular order, and not every child) we are doing jewelry, guitar strings, gameboy games, chapsticks, white board pens, push pins, funky calculators, a play cell phone. Four kids are getting white/peg board combos with their names on them - the reason for the pens and pins. Everyone (adults and kids) gets a new ornament every year. The adults are getting new bumper stickers. Umm, I don't know what else at the moment.

Hope that gives you some ideas. :)

peace...

Stella said...

one of my favorite stocking stuffers is...SOCKS! Some other innovative approaches: new glasses case and small bottle of lens cleaner; Tide pen (the stain removal thingie); keychain; night light; bandanna; travel sewing kit; pocket size calendar/date book (or a Blackberry or iPhone would be even cooler..:-), movie tickets for an upcoming date night...etc etc