Monday, December 01, 2008

Dakota the Plumber

And just what would a holiday weekend be without a plumbing issue? As far as plumbing problems can go, this was an easy one - thank goodness!

The water supply hose for the dishwasher decided to start leaking around the connector. It actually started about two weeks ago when we noticed there was a little water under the sink but since both the trash and recycling live under there, we chalked it up to probably water from a rinsed out container. We cleaned it up a moved about life.

A few days later, it was back. Weird. But again, not. We are avid recyclers and all containers are rinsed and tossed in a paper bag until they are taken out to the recying bin.

A few days after that - it was more wet than before. I moved everything out of the way and felt all the pipes and lines. Nothing seemed wet. So odd.

Then it became even more wet. This time though I noticed that the supply line was damp so I placed a washcloth under it in the hopes of pinpointing a leak. And I did. The next day the cloth was pretty wet and I could see a drop of water on the line. I replaced the cloth and within a few hours, it was soaking wet.

Hmmm...the problem definitely was increasing. I placed a container under the connection and on Saturday, about 24 hours later, it was almost full and I could see it dripping.

We went to Home Depot yesterday and bought a new dishwasher supply line kit and Dakota got to the work. Over the years I have learned to do almost everything in the realm of home repair but plumbing is still something I would just as soon leave to Dakota and thank goodness she is good at it and doesn't mind doing it! She turned off the water, disconnected the dishwasher from the cabinet and removed the supply line. Then she connected the new line and turned the water back on. It wasn't quite tight enough so back to turning off the water and reconnecting the line. This time it worked like a charm! No leaks anywhere!

She put the dishwasher back into place, secured it and viola! Done! We kept the bowl under the connection just to be sure but hours later, everything was bone dry. Yes sir - that's my plumbing baby! :)

Sure - it's not nearly as much fun as installing....say...a new Moen faucet but it was a necessary evil. And I have to say, it was so nice not to have to worry about puddles of water today.

Thanks honey - you did a fabulous job!!!!

3 comments:

Mimi said...

god love her....I can't fix shit...

Dakota said...

Thank you, Honey! Not like I love plumbing, but I enjoy it way more than I would enjoy paying a plumber to do something relatively easy!

Unknown said...

Sounds like she's as good as, if not better than, most husbands :) Good for her for knowing how to fix stuff.