Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Nothing Smaller Than Your Elbow

Your mom probably told you this when you were younger. Turns out, she was right!

This morning the prince decided, in all his 3 year old glory, to shove PlayDoh in his ears. He’s done this before but the pieces were big enough for me to reach and remove with a pair of tweezers. Not this time.

I tried to get the pieces out but after removing a few I realized there were some that were too deep for me to reach (it was a green color so I could see that there was more in there). So, after calling the doctor’s office, we were on our way. All the time I’m feeling silly about this. Oy.

The doctor, all the while assuring me this is normal for the 2.5-3.5 year olds, used a small tool to remove a few pieces but there were some even he couldn’t reach. The next step was flushing out the ear canal with warm water. Sure enough, out came a bunch of PlayDoh in a flood of water.

My brave boy. He really made me proud. He sat so still and didn’t say a word the whole time. After all was said and done he told me “Mama, I be really super brave cuz it hurt a lot.”

For his reward he received three gloves to be blown into balloons, three tongue depressor puppets (he named them Prince, Mama and Doctor) and a sticker. Not a bad deal for sticking something in your ear.

Even though I don’t think he’ll be sticking PlayDoh in his ears anytime soon, I still think it’s best for all the PlayDoh to take a short vacation. This stuff really IS the bane of my existence.

Here are a couple photos from our adventure this morning.



4 comments:

Estelle said...

remember I told you my only real clear memory of my mother was when I shoved a piece of foam in my nose and she dug it out with a rectal thermometer?
He will remember this. Turst me.
Sounds like a blast... can't wait till Charlie does it... though methinks it will be up his nose.

Anonymous said...

Great story! One that you'll tease the Prince with when he gets older! :o)

em1__mak2 said...

My mother still likes to tell me about the hook that had to be employed in an ER to remove the dried and hardened piece of gum so far up my nose you could practically see it behind my eyes.

Kelton looks so calm and composed. That would never happen with Milo, who has that same swell shirt. If only the weather would change so he could wear sleeves...

Laura said...

Oh my!!!!!! Definitely another reason to hate that damn play doh.