Thursday, July 28, 2005

Car Seat Hell

That's where I've been for the past 2 plus hours. OMG! What a terrible experience. I thought tonight would be the perfect time to install the princess' new carseat as she is starting to outgrow her infant carrier. I was thinking there was no way it could take more than 40 minutes tops, right? Do you hear the sound of the entire universe laughing? Good Lord - who designs those things? I've never had this much trouble ever.

The only things I can think of that are different is:
a) we have a different car than the last time I had to have a convertible seat rear facing
b) the back seat slopes (unlike our previous vehicle)
c) the seatbelt locking mechanism is completely different in this vehicle making it necessary to use a locking clip (even though the belt locks....it locks too snug and tips the seat)

I worked up quite the sweat (and am in serious need of a shower) andended up reinstalling the infant carrier base. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'll need to find a safety seat tech to help me. I apparently need all the help I can get. (E...WHY do you live so far away and why did you have to teach me so much about seat safety? I'm so paranoid now! :) )

On a different note, we are getting ready to go up north to visit my sister tomorrow so I better get back to packing and cleaning.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The joys of carseats!

I can't believe your little one has outgrown her carrier! Of course it still hasn't sunk in that she is nearing 6 months old! Where does the time go!?!

I'll call you before you leave tomorrow!

Lois said...

Funny you wrote about this today, just yesterday we when to the police station where twice a week that will install the seats for you. I had Sue follow me so they did both cars at one time. They have a play area, since they like to see the kids in the seats.

I am totally freaked out by car seat safety. We have the police do it and that's were they stay.

Estelle said...

Geez I didn't mean to be jsut a big scary wolf!
Casey actually called me last night to get me to "help" her install this monster. Well, of course, she *had* to wait unitl 9:30 (my time of course, not hers) when basically everything was closed except Wal-Mart and no matter who much I love someone I won't go there (though, I considered it, because she is a proficient whiner).
Today I will be out and about and WILL go to Target and check this thing out. Actually, i really have considered going to a dealership, taking her model car for a "test drive", driving to BRU, and installing the fucker just to make sure it can be done. However, it probably ain't gonna happen, but I'll do it in mine at least.
I hope we can get it worked out!Poor princess wants her big seat!
Oh but it was so funny to listen to her shout at this thing... wish I lived closer... :)

Estelle said...

You will all be happy to know that Casey's has installed the princess' car seast safely. See my blog for details.

Estelle said...

Well fud. I have now been informed that she has not installed the seat and I might as well fly out to WA and just do this for her.