Friday, July 15, 2005

Pink Pink Pink

Pink. If you had asked me 2 years ago how I felt about the color pink I would have said "Oh - it's ok. Personally, I don't like it but it's ok." If you had asked me a 10 months ago I would have said, with tears in my eyes, "I hate it."

Why the tears? Because I had recently found out I was having a girl. A daughter. Someone who would be wearing clothes in the hated color. I had tried hard to get used to the color. I'd gone to stores hoping against all odds that I would find *the* article of clothing in pink that would change my mind about the color.

Then finally about 8 months ago, I found a soft pink fleece jacket from Baby Gap. It cost way too much for what it was but it was the first pink anything that hadn't brought tears to my eyes. I bought it (in a size 18-24 month as I knew she'd get to wear it longer than if I had bought it in a 0-3) and took it home.

And so began my adventure into the land of pink.

By the time our little princess was born I was used to seeing pink hanging in the closet among the blues and yellows and purples. I thought "It'll be ok. Pink every now and then will be ok. I have all these other colors to dress her in." But then - the biggest shock of all.....the princess looked good in pink. Not just good...but sweet and innocent and ......wonderful. I fell in love. I fell in love with the color pink. Pink. Of all the colors to fall in love with it was pink. But there it was.

I tried putting her in yellow one day. She looked ok in it but not nearly as wonderful and precious as she looked in pink. I brought her into the livingroom where the prince was. He took one look at her and said "No yellow, Mama. Change her to pink."

There it was again. My daughter looks best in pink. It was true.

Fast forward 4 more months - I can't seem to dress her in any other color but pink. Friends have even commented "Does she own any other color?" "Yes...but I don't like them. She looks best in pink."

We're getting her room ready to paint. Any guesses what color? :)

1 comment:

Estelle said...

I personally like pink. Boy or girl. I love purple too. And, well, blue! I honestly would dress a boy in pink and think nothing of it. Heck, in the early 1900s, pink was considered a VERY masculine color. Go figure.
I agree, KL looks perfect in pink. Stick with pink. I love that KJ feels that same way!