Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Why Oh Why Do I Keep Believing Him??

What? Am I am complete idiot? What the hell is wrong with me?? I keep believing this child of mine only to be greeting by a complete diaster.

The prince is working on an art project.....scissors, tapes, paper and glue (do you see it coming?). He's right here....I mean RIGHT here beside me. He proceeds to get glue on his fingers and says "Gotta go wash hands." I say "Let me help you." He says "No Mama. Do MYSELF!" To which I respond "Ok...go in and wash your hands and DO NOT MAKE A MESS!" He says "OK." I say "Don't play in the water. Just wash your hands and come back." O. K." my smartmouth boy shoots back in a rather loud voice.

He's back alright. In record time, too, so I figure "Hey good - that was easy." Then he says "Mama - come see. Skating." Huh?? So, I follow him and guess what? He hadn't played with the water...not at all. But the soap? Now *that's* a different story. There is foamy soap ALL over the bathroom floor and, true to his word, he is skating in it. ARGH!!!!!!!!

So I ask you...what is it in me that thinks for a single second that I can believe him when he says he won't make a mess? If it wishful thinking? A love of cleaning up messes even though I say I don't like them? Am I just cracked in the head?

I think it's the last option.

3 comments:

Estelle said...

Oh darling you are not cracked. Well, maybe a small crack, like a hairline fracture. But not a really big crack.
At least your bathroom floor is clean!
But love, you should never trust a three year old when he says he will not make a mess. Even I know that.

Casey said...

Well yes - technically *I* know that too but hey come back and talk with me when your little one is three and you've been following them around for the past 36-plus months and you just want to finish something for once in your life. It's tempting to believe them, it really is and yet every time I do, I get screwed.

I think I keep doing it with the hope that someday he just might "get" it. He has to one of these days. I doubt he will be in his college dorm skating on soap....but then again, he is a guy...he just might be.

Anonymous said...

OH Casey, our kids' have similar minds. Don't know that the soap has made it to the floor... yet. BUT, all bathroom things interested to a 3yo has now been "hidden" from them between the towels in the closet. Now this came about ONLY because we were slow enough and trusted them one to many times. :)