Friday, July 15, 2005

"My goodness he's a busy boy!"

If I had a dime for every time someone said that to me when I am out with my little prince I'd be....well...I'd have a nice savings account going. I'm never sure exactly how they mean it when it's said. Does it mean "Good God woman! Control that child!" or does it mean "Better her than me - I'd never want a child like that." or maybe "Does he ever stop?"

The answer to the last one is no. He never stops. He has two speeds - super fast or cuddled in a heap on the couch with his blanket watching tv. And people wonder why I am known to ask "Hey baby, do you want to watch Mr. Rogers? Come on - let's go watch it!" It's not that I think he loves Mr. Rogers (though I know he really does love that show). It's not like I want him to be a couch potato but good grief - a mom needs a break every now and again.

We went to the mall today to have 5 month pictures taken of the little princess. Of course, while mom is busy trying to make sure the baby doesn't roll off the table the little prince is busy climbing behind the photo backgrounds, over props, into the office.......I'm saying, over and over "Come here and stay here." "If I count to 3 and you aren't back here I'm coming to get you and I will strap you into your stroller seat. One, Two...." Ziiiiiiiip! He's back by my side.

And then the minute I'm distracted again he's off and running. I feel like the only mom in the world who can't control her 3 year old.

So the second time someone commented about "how busy" he is I started wondering....is it sympathy, pity or their way of saying "Get him out of here."

I think next month I'll see if someone can watch the little prince while I take the princess in for photos.

2 comments:

Estelle said...

Hmmm... I don't think you're the only mom who can't control her three year old.
He's safe, he's happy, he's well fed and not too dirty (most of the time). That's all that matters. Why does he need to be controlled? He's awesome just like he is, a raw little bundle of juice and zip. Hopefully KL will give you a little more of a break... but I doubt it.

Anonymous said...

The Prince can come on over to our house and run wild with our two Princesses! Anyone who thinks they can "control" a 3 year old doesn't have a 3 year old :). These kids are full of curiosity, energy, and wonder. I wish I could have some of that.