Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Oh the Joy!

Over the weekend, Kelton developed the cold that has run through the five of us (Kaylen, Kelton, Andrew, Stephanie, and me) in the recent weeks so he started working on me Monday morning to miss school. Nope - Monday he was ok enough to go and he went on his way with a backwards glance and comment of "Yeah - I knew I was ok enough to go. I just wanted to stay home."

Silly boy.

Tuesday, he tried again but my "mama touch" told me he wasn't running a fever so off he went. Upon arriving home, he settled in and did his homework and then cuddled up on the couch under a few blankets. I felt his forehead, it was cool. I meant to take his temperature but honestly? He looked fine.

Soon enough, Dakota arrived for her Tuesday evening time with them and I went to Stephanie's house. Not long after arriving, I get a call from Dakota. Apparently Kelton felt bad enough to go to his room so Dakota, upon Kelton's request, pulled out the thermometer and took his temperature. 101.9. *sigh*

I had given him cold medication but it didn't have fever reducing medication in it so I had her give him Tylenol. By the time Stephanie and I got back, a couple hours later, he was feeling better.

He had a rough night. Coughing a lot and then up around 2am asking if he could take a bath (odd....I know. But a bath is always the first thing the kids ask for when they aren't feeling well...either physically or emotionally). I told him he could. Then he wanted to watch a little TV. He finally headed back to around 3am. He started coughing. A lot.

I got up and rubbed his chest down with Vicks and gave him more cough and cold medication. Within minutes, he had fallen quiet and was sleeping. He was cool to the touch so I felt confident that he wasn't running a fever.

He was up for the day at 5:30am. UGH.

The 24 hour fever free rule being what it is, I knew he was home for the day. I took his temperature around 9 and it was normal and, thankfully, it's been there all day. And, I might add, his cough is almost non-existent and his congestion is gone. This kid has a wild and amazing immune system - he always has!

Tomorrow it should be back to school for him. Which should make working on my work project a whole lot easier (though I did enjoy the admiration in his voice when he said "Wow did all this work today? I didn't know you worked so hard!"). Not to mention trying to pack up for the weekend.

It looks like our weekend trip to see my family is still a go and for that, I am very thankful. It took a lot of juggling to make this trip work out and the thought of cancelling it, and then trying to reschedule it, was not something I was looking forward to doing.

And I have to give a shout out to Stephanie. She helped keep me sane on many different levels yesterday (as she always does). Thanks, darlin'! You mean the world to me. :)

No comments: