Saturday, April 07, 2012

Spring Break

This past week, the kids have been on spring break which means a serious lack of schedule, a ton of fun and a smidgen of frustration for all of us. Lack of schedules can be good but also, when you have small ones who are used to schedules, it can be a challenge.

Last Friday, the kids, Stephanie, and I started spring break early and headed 4 hours north to see my family. We were supposed to have the annual "cousin birthday celebration" but due to various reasons, the cousins were not there. My two, though, enjoyed their celebration and time with family whom they rarely get to see. We all enjoyed seeing Baby Madeleine who, at 8 months, is really fun for my two to interact with. Personally, I can't believe it's been 8 months since she arrived on the planet. Time goes fast.

We headed back last Sunday and have spent the entire week at "the country house", as we call Stephanie's house. It's been amazing and fabulous. The kids love being out here and it goes without saying that I do as well.

Stephanie's birthday was Wednesday so she stayed home from work and we spent the morning just hanging around. We finally got everyone moving and made it out the door in time to catch the 1:30 showing of Titanic (re-released in 3D). Everyone loved it! Even Kaylen, though I did turn her away and cover her eyes for parts of the sinking. This mommy thought some of the scenes would be too intense for her 7 year old brain but boy oh boy was she not happy with me and told me I "ruined the WHOLE movie for her!" I'm ok with that because I'm the mom and I get to decide what is appropriate for her small self....not her. :)

After the movie, we stopped by "the city house" and I took care of the cats and picked up a few things we needed. From there, we went to a birthday dinner to celebrate the love of my life. It was an awesome day and I am happy to report that Stephanie said it was the best birthday she has had in years and years. That, in and of itself, is perfection as far as I'm concerned.

Due to illness in Dakota's house, the kids missed both their visitation evenings with her this week. Let's just say it didn't go well with the boy child. When I broke the news to him Thursday (which was going to be a special long day with Dakota) that Dakota was now sick, he went into a full on melt-down. Hours were spent trying to make the world better for him and I will say, he broke both Stephanie's and my hearts. Stephanie took care of work stuff from home but opted to stay and help with the emotional upset - for which I am very grateful. We started thinking of fun things to do and we finally hit on an idea that brought a smile to Kelton's face so we loaded up the car and headed out to a local pizza place that Dakota has taken them to a couple times in the past year. We spent some time there and then, as we were leaving, I noticed a resale lego store across the street and down a road. We headed over to check it out.

I spent less than $20 on the kids but they both left incredibly happy and excited. We headed back to Stephanie's and we all spent time in the hot tub. All in all, the kids will tell you that they had a really great day even though it started off not all that happy around here.

Yesterday, while Stephanie went to work, the kids and I headed into town and did some stuff at the house. I picked up the Easter Bunny things and spent some time with the kitties, who are starting to get quite lonely in the very quiet house. Soon enough, we were on our way to the grocery store and then back to Stephanie's. The kids are really having a great time out here and I am really enjoying watching them play outside and use their imagination.

It's been a great week and getting to spend it with my love has made it even better. I am very excited for all that is to come.

Life is amazing.
I am a very lucky woman.

No comments: