Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday

It's Friday. There is a big teacher conference in building today so both the kids have substitutes. Kelton has actually had a sub in one of his classes for many weeks this year because his regular teacher is having medical issues so he is used to it and, even if he wasn't, he can roll with it better.

Kaylen freaks out. Usually, she convinces me she is sick and gets me to let her stay home before I clue in to the sub issue but I was determined she would go today and face her fear. She tried hard to get out of it with "My tummy hurts so much!" and "I think I'm going to throw up." but I wasn't biting. I gave words of support and kept her moving towards leaving for school. It's moments like these that make me feel like I have stress zits popping up and that I should buy stock in adult acne treatments. It's stressful to remain calm while trying to mentally navigate all the scenarios which might take place and how I will handle each and every one.

When we walked into the office, we saw her regular teacher who waved to her from the conference room and said "Remember, Kaylen. I'm right here all day." That seemed to help. We walked over to her room and introduced ourselves to the sub. As Kaylen put her things away I spoke quietly to the sub to ask if she has been alerted to Kaylen's issue. Thankfully, she had been.

While Kaylen settled in I quickly said my goodbye and was on my way. I really think she will do fine though I am prepared for a meltdown at lunch. I'm working on my game plan for keeping her at school for the rest of the day. Hopefully, my stress will be for nothing and it will go well. I hope so. I want her to know she CAN do this!

No comments: