Thursday, March 11, 2010

Lights in My Rearview Mirror

Well. It was bound to happen. I was pulled over this morning for driving 65 in a 55. I knew the second I passed the police car that they would be coming after me....and that she did. For those of you who know me, you won't be surprised to hear me say, for me, life is not just about the journey. It's mostly about the destination. :) I am known to drive 5-10 miles over the limit routinely.

It's been more than 20 years since I have been pulled over and I have to say, it's nerve racking. More so, I think, when you have a child in the car with you.

I was in the left hand lane so I pulled over on the left shoulder (which she pointed out was wrong. I should have moved to the right. Who knew?). As I sat there with my window down, the officer approached; hand on her gun. *gulp* Yeah yeah - I know it's protocol and all but still. Scary!

She greeted me and said "I clocked you at 65."
To which I responded "You did?" (I thought I was going 62 or 63).
"Yes. And this is a 55 stretch."
"It IS? I hardly ever travel this road and I honestly thought it was 60."
"No, it's 55. You hardly travel this road? Are you a homebody?"
"Kind of. I'm a stay at home mom."

That moved us into her saying that she would love to be a stay at home mom and how lucky my kids are to have me at home. How'd she would much rather be home with them than pulling me over. (I silently was wishing she had been home, too.)

She asked for my license and registration, which I handed over. She asked if it was my correct address and then asked if I knew I should have pulled over to the right. I said I wasn't aware of that and muttered "I haven't been pulled over before." (which is true in the fact that I was pulled over in California but not here and it has been more than 20 years. I was in my early 20's, single and carefree. A completely different person than I am now.) She said "You haven't? I'm surprised since you were driving 65." I said "I really didn't know it was 55 here. And then I pointed to my mapquest directions and said "I don't even know this area."

She handed me back my things and said "Slow down, ok?" and then proceeded to tell me how best to reach my destination.

No written warning.
No ticket.

Thank God.

I do wonder why that small stretch of road is 55 when everywhere else on it and on every other highway and freeway here it is 60 but it is what it is. I won't make that mistake again. I hope.

9 comments:

Lynilu said...

Isn't that just the most uncomfortable situation? I've only been stopped twice in 48 years, both in Kansas (grrr), but both times were just mortifying. I'm glad you didn't get a ticket. Whew!

Did you get a dozen questions from the child afterward? Even more embarrassing!

Casey said...

Oh yes - I was grilled by Kaylen. Mostly she was concerned a ticket would have cost us money. But I think some part of her enjoyed that I was getting in trouble. :)

Lynilu said...

I'll bet she did! :)

hackwife said...

Whew, glad she let you off with a warning. It happened to me last year, not for speeding but for changing lanes too quickly even though traffic was light, and the officer questioned me about where I was coming from (work), where I was going (home), and then wanted to search the car because I was so nervous. He kept peering into the windows suspiciously. Eventually he realized I was just a flake and let me go, but man it is scary!

Unknown said...

Iliana is constantly comparing the speed limit signs with the spedometer, because she can see it from where she sits. She warns me regularly 'the police are going to get me'. They will. But not today :) Glad you got away with nothing but a brief conversation.

Audra said...

lucky you! Dylan always goes over a bit too, and the speeds near us are always 30, but we usually go 40.

Julie said...

Was it a Clark County deputy by chance? Just curious. Oh and to let you know, she may have let you go but if you get pulled over again the next officer will see that you were pulled over previously and got a warning :)

Stacey said...

so lucky. i got a ticket 7 years ago and it was awful. i really didn't realize how fast i was going--going with the flow in the fast lane on the highway. i still got a ticket but they lessened the fine.

Kristen said...

We don't even have 55 zones here. or 60. We have 65 or even 70. Though now I wonder if they've stuck a 60 in somewhere to just f*ck with us...

I got pulled over a couple years ago for not stopping correctly at a flashing red light intersection. I totally just wasn't paying attention and after I made my stop, I went- completely out of turn. No ticket, thank goodness. but it really freaked me out!

Audrey and I talk about getting tickets but mostly for running red lights and texting/talking while driving. I'm hoping one day she says to M- you're gonna get in trouble for talking while you drive.
hahah