Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Update

It's been *how* long since last Thursday? A lifetime, you say? Yeah - that feels about right.

So - where was I? Oh right - going up to see my dad.

We left here bright and early and got to Everett 4 hours later. The kids were good in the car although little missy is definitely turning into a chatterbox. She talked and talked and talked while her brother played about 3 hours worth of Pokemon on his Game Boy. We stopped for lunch at McDonalds before I called to let people know we were in town. My dad was still in the hospital but was awaiting transfer to the rehab center since the hospital had done all they could. After all that happened there, we were all relieved and ready for the transfer.

The break in his cervical spine will go without intervention, for which I am very grateful. It means a cervical collar (Miami style for 12-16 weeks) instead of surgery and a halo brace. His leg, a tib-fib break will require 12-16 weeks of him being non-weight bearing - which will prove interesting since he has left sided weakness from a stroke years ago.

Thursday night brought us new information alerting us to the fact that he has a pseudoaneurysm which will need to be addressed at a later date. I don't have enough information to share on that fun little twist but they have decided it was not a result of the accident.

Anyway - when we arrived at the hospital to see him, the transport team was there waiting to move him to the rehab place. The guys were the same two who, as they put it, "scrapped him off the pavement" a few days before and where happy to chat all about it - which my dad actually enjoyed.

The kids said their hellos and then as my brother and I loaded up balloons, plants and cards and my dad was wheeled out of the hospital, Dakota took Kelton and Kaylen to the local children's museum to play. I went with James and we met my dad in his new room and get him all set up.

My sister met us as soon as she could and Cara was not far behind. We all hung out until my dad was ready for us to leave him so he could rest.

We headed out to pick up various things that he would need from his apartment and the store and then we met up with Dakota and the kids at my sister's house. We all had dinner and then we headed up to James' house where we would be staying.

The next day James, Cara and I left Dakota and the kids to enjoy their "vacation" (playing on the trampoline, going in the hot tub, playing Wii and having lunch) and headed down to the rehab center where we stayed for hours before my dad kicked us out so he could nap. We left to have a late lunch and then James and Cara wanted to go to the wedding expo for a short go around. Ummm....fun? Being held captive the nice person that I am, I went along. We met up with Cara's mom and checked the place out. I even got to witness Cara trying on her first, second and third wedding dresses. She didn't find "the one" there but still - it was fun to see her in the dresses.

We were out of there in no time and Cara went off with her mom to go look at more dresses and James and I headed over to my dad's apartment to pick up even more stuff. when we arrived back at my dad's room he was still semi-sleeping and asked that he leave him be for a bit longer. We went to the day room and hung out there until Lannon, Dakota and the kids arrived.

We visited a while more, stayed through his dinner and then said our good nights.

James, Cara, Dakota, the kids and I went to dinner where James amazed Kelton with his "pulling money from people's ears" trick. We were all laughing as hard as Kelton as we watched him run around the table trying to find his own stash of ear money. :) When James pulled a $20 from Kaylen's ear I had her say "My ear, my money!" which was pretty darn funny! (And no, she didn't get to keep the money.)

The next morning (Sunday) we packed up and headed down to the rehab center to see my dad before heading out of town. We hung out for about an hour, grabbed lunch at McDonald's (which brought us full circle for the weekend) and then started the long drive home.

I talked with my dad yesterday morning and then James in the afternoon. My dad is requesting only Tylenol (though he does have pain meds available should he request them) and did well at therapy. James outlined the goals set up by the doctor and filled me in on the auto insurance piece of all this....get this; as of yesterday, the guy who hit my dad has yet to contact his insurance carrier (which was listed on the police report; the same report which lists the guy as being 100% at fault). SERIOUSLY?????

I don't know about you but if I were to hit someone (especially a pedestrian!) I would call my insurance company ASAP but definitely by day 2 (Hey - I'm willing to concede that he was too shook up to think clearly the first day.). We're a week plus one day into this and still......he hasn't filed a claim.

I find that unbelievable and honestly, unforgivable as well.

Here are a couple pictures:




5 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

Bless your sweet Dad Casey! I wish him a speedy and complete recovery. I think y'all are really making the best out of a very bad situation.....

Audra said...

I'm sure he was thrilled to have the family there to visit!

Mimi said...

OMG I can't believe tht guy hasnt called the insurance yet....has he even came to vist your dad? OMG I would be such a mess they would make me leave your dads room.....some people...bet he loved seeing you and your family

Casey said...

Patti: Thanks.

Audra: :)

Mimi: No, there has been no contact at all. I do believe he is avoiding it all hoping it just goes away.

Tanya said...

I'm glad that he is recovering. I think the no call to insurance is some what normal. It happened to us in a smaller accident. The guy called us directly and basically asked if he could pay for his and us ours cause he had never had to file a claim before, ummm no! We were stopped and you hit us. I promptly called his insurance the next morning. Just be thankful that he has insurance and that they will take responsibility. Dealing with them may be annoying but way better then having to sue him personally.