Saturday, January 03, 2009

A Day at OMSI

The kids have been wanting to take a trip to OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) so I had planned to take them earlier in the week however as the day drew closer, Kelton decided that he really, really, really wanted to ride the simulated ride which would require Dakota to be with us so that she could accompany him. With my back and syringomyelia, there is no way I can go on a ride like that.

So the big day was set for today.

We were there around 11:00 and oh was it busy! We had to park in a parking lot I've never before known existed and the throngs of people waiting to pay was a bit overwhelming. Kelton saw the line and said "I don't want to wait - let's just go." so imagine his delight when, as a card carrying member we didn't have to wait at all.

After beginning the puzzle exhibit, Kaylen grew restless and asked to go to "her part" which is the little kid room. So we left Dakota and Kelton to ponder puzzles and we went upstairs.

Let me just repeat: oh my goodness was it busy! There where small children of every shape and size wandering around with their grown-ups. If I was feeling overwhelmed, I have to wonder how Kaylen, with her all her shortness was feeling. Wow.

But you know, being in a room filled with toddlers never fails to leave me amazed at all the different clothing options available for little girls......and all the different clothing options in which my daughter will never allow me to indulge. The Hannah Anderson clothes, Children's Place skirts with stripped tights, catimini outfits....they all make my head swim and my heart long for the days when my now-fiercely independent (not to mention sensory challenged) daughter let me decide on her outfits. I miss those days. *sigh*

But I digress..... the place was swarming with happy (and not so happy) children and my daughter happily jumped right in.

Soon Dakota and Kelton arrived by our sides. The puzzles, they declared, weren't as much fun as they hoped. Dakota stayed with Kaylen and Kelton and I took off to explore other parts of the building. Then we all met up again, saw a few things together and then it was time for Kelton's big ride and boy howdy did he LOVE it! When he bounced off the ramp he was wearing an ear to ear grin and nothing makes me happier than seeing my babies happy.

We stayed a while longer and then, after three hours of fun, we headed back home. How was the day, you ask? Well - if it's any indication, Kelton put a "Best Day Ever" sticker on his calendar.

I love "Best Days Ever". Don't you?

7 comments:

Tribe Mama said...

Glad you all had a great day out, after the past few weeks it seemed to be just what you needed :)

A Jersey Girl said...

Sounds like a fun day!

Stacey said...

sounds like a wonderful day and it's too cute that he used the best day ever sticker :)

Mimi said...

sounds like you guys had a blast....sorry to hear your daughter won't let you dress her...sad she's only 3......just remember they know what they want...lol

Unknown said...

I am so glad you had a good day! That family of yours deserves it! :) Jeri

Audra said...

what a great day!

Monogram Queen said...

I do, indeed love "best day evers" and being the tyrant I am, I still decide what Madison wears when we are "going somewhere"!