Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Kelton Report

Kelton went in for his weekly weigh-in this morning. He gained 4oz (totally acceptable. I don't want him gaining too much too fast. That just sets up other problems.). YAY! The biggest surprise was his height. On January 7th he was 49.25 inches tall. Today he measured 49.5inches. A quarter of an inch in 3 weeks. WOW! (Of course, we all know measuring at a doctors office in an inaccurate science but still....)

It probably won't take long for him to be towering over my 5.25inch frame. Eeeek!

I sent an email to his doctor this morning to see if we can push off the test for CF because in my motherly heart of hearts I know he doesn't have it (way too healthy and the strongest immune system in our family!). He seems to be doing better overall which leads me to believe we have been struggling with two issues: energy output vs. fuel intake AND severe constipation (poor boy!) and that part makes sense that it started in September. He started school full time and what child likes to have to p**p at school? The doctor, at the onset, said that if constipation was at the root of it, it makes sense why he wasn't eating enough....he always felt "full".

So anyway - hopefully she will let us push it off for a while and see where this all takes us. The time and expense to find out what I already know seems silly at this point.

But I'm not a doctor. I don't know. I stated my case and now I wait to hear back. You know what they say about mommy intuition though. :) I knew something was wrong with him and now...I just have this feeling that we are on the road to being A-OK. And I'm totally fine with it all boiling down to constipation. :)

9 comments:

Shannon said...

Good news! Hopefully you don't have to bother with the CF test.

Froggymama said...

Sounds about right.

We are constantly dealing with constipation with Froggy and it makes her not eat, or not eat as much. She's on the highest dose of Miralax a kid can be on. Poor thing. But whatever gets it moving!!!

So relieved he's gaining and growing. This is excellent news.

Unknown said...

Yay Kelton! Im so glad to hear that things are getting better. Thats awesome! Jeri

Casey said...

Shannon: We got the go ahead to not do the test for now. We'll wait and see how it all plays out. If he loses again, he'll need it but for now she is ok with my wait and watch approach. YAY!!

FroggyMama: Just curious - what is the highest dose? Kelton is taking Miralax as well and he is 1.5 caps daily. And yes - completely excellent news. I am so relieved. And I am also so relieved to read the report on Froggy. YAY! Good news week. :)

Willow: Thanks! :)

Mimi said...

OMG same thing happen to my son.....when he was in first grade he had a couple of accendents on the school bus...he wouldn't go to the bathroom all day....because to find out the boy's bathroom don't have doors on the bathroom......soooo had to teach him that boys and men pee in front of other people....

Froggymama said...

Froggy takes 2 caps of Miralax a day!!! It's a ton, especially because she only weighs 29 pounds, but it's the only thing that keeps her from major blockage. So it's better than an ER visit. :)

The big downside for her is chronic diarrea. We just put up with it, because it's so much better than constipation. But still not pleasant.

I'm sure Kelton's will be just a temporary thing that he'll grow out of. The big thing is with Miralax is that they have to slowly, and I mean SLOWLY wean them off. If they do it too quickly, the kiddo can get really blocked. I'm sure your Ped. will do that.

Monogram Queen said...

I hope you don't have to do that test either if you really don't want to. Glad to get good news on the boy!!!

Stacey said...

Yay, that is great news and hopefully your mother's intuition is right. :)

Ree said...

That's an awesome report!!