Thursday, January 01, 2009

The New Years Eve Report

For the first time ever the kids attempted to stay up until midnight. It was so cute - they both were committed 100%. We watched a bit of TV, ate popcorn, drank kool-aid (a very special treat) and enjoyed some cheese. We played many of the new Christmas games and a couple old favorites. We got silly bopping around balloons as we tried not to let them hit the ground (and got bonus points for bouncing them on the ceiling). Then we began trying to settle down. But....the "we are so tired we don't know what to do with ourselves" spinning out of control started happening. Kaylen, for her part, tried to settle down and do dot to dots in her new Christmas book. She became incredibly frustrated which was a sure sign she was reaching her breaking point. Kelton started ramping up his energy level and doing odd things such as trying to put his mechanical pencil into his new battery powered pencil sharpener.

I called an end to the fun and games and told them if they wanted to stay up, they would have to settle in a watch TV.

Within 15 minutes, Kaylen was begging to go to bed. It was 10:15 and she was out cold by 10:30. When I returned to the living room, Kelton was snuggled in beside Dakota and looking very sleepy. He insisted he was going to make it to midnight. For the looks of him, I had big doubts.

As it turned out, he was sound asleep on Dakota's lap at 11:20. I felt so sad for him knowing how much he wanted to stay up to yell "Happy New Year!" but there was no bringing him back from the land of lullaby.

At 11:45 Dakota picked him up and we moved him to his bed. I do believe Dakota and I were asleep by 11:50. :)

So there was no wild ringing in of the new year in this house but still - it was a really fun evening spent with my three favorite people. And it was a lot of fun to have the kids up late for a special occasion.

And just because I finally got my scanner to work, here are a couple pictures of the kids that were taken Wednesday. My dad has a frame that holds three 5x7 photos of the kids (both my two and his great grand-kids) and every Christmas it is my responsibility to provide new 5x7's. I was woefully negligent this year (and apparently last year though I swear I gave him new photos. For some reason, they weren't in the frames so either they were lost in the Christmas chaos or I am a horrible daughter). I decided to redeem myself by taking the kids to Picture People. Here are the poses I got (plus bonus! 5x7's come two to a sheet so I have copies for myself too. YAY!):



11 comments:

Unknown said...

You must keep Picture People in business, you seem to go there at least every other month ;)

Sounds like our previous New Years, but our girls made it this year which really amazed me. I dont know how they did it! But it was really neat to say Happy New Year to ALL four of my kids.

Jeri

One Boys Mom said...

Fabulous pictures (as always) :)

Catherine said...

Happy New Years! Sounds like everyone had fun in spite of not making it to midnight. They will remember what you did more then Yelling Happy New YEar. Robbie stayed up, but he was really weird acting and cranky.

Froggymama said...

I hear ya. Froggy was in bed by 9. FD and I by 10:30. I woke up at 11:50pm, gave my family a kiss and went back to bed. At midnight I could hear our neighbors celebrating. Not us. :)

Sheri said...

Love the pics! The kids look so grown up.

We celebrated New Year's at 9pm (midnight EST). We each had noisemakers & sparkling apple cider (Nick's first carbonated drink). I think Nick was asleep before 9:30pm, and we both fell asleep in front of the TV before 11:30pm. What a wild bunch! :-)

Audra said...

Love the photos!

Caroline said...

Love the pictures. I really like the one of Kelton by himself. He looks so grown up.

I love that the kids tried to stay up until midnight. I remember the first year I actually stayed up until midnight (I think I was around 8) and all I remember is being out in the driveway banging on pots and pans.

Melanie said...

Aww, tell Kelton that next year he'll definitely make it the extra 40 minutes! Glad you all had such a good time, and got to bed at a reasonable hour. ;)

Lynilu said...

You have such beautiful kids. That has to make everything just a tad better! Sounds like a very cool New Year's Eve. As I said on my blog a couple days ago .... the new year seems to get here whether I'm awake or asleep. And it's a good thing!!

Unknown said...

Cute photos. Kelton is looking so grown up. My kids were up til 1, but we paid for it the next day!

Monogram Queen said...

I got a digital photo keychain (which i've already downloaded pics on) and a picture frame which I have to figure out what kind of USB cable I need or exactly what. It's not nearly as simple as the keychain!
I hope Kelton wasn't too disappointed!