Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Day So Far

I'm having a low key day. I'm talking really low key - as in I sat on the couch for two and a half hours and did nothing but watch shows like Clean House and The Dish. Oh I know high quality shows when I see them. :)

Now to be fair - I never, ever have days where I just sit around and do nothing. I can't remember the last time I have watched anything during the day other than the Hot Topics part of The View (while folding laundry) and no, inauguration day does not count.

Kaylen was happily playing games online (and yes, when she called for help I would pause the show and go help. I'm not being *that* much of a slacker. And I did do all the regular morning stuff and got Kelton off to school. And I did two loads of laundry. So there.) and I was all too happy to sit on the couch under a blanket and just watch tv. I am desperate for some time when I am not taking care of someone or something. Or worry about this, that or the other. It's no secret that I'm struggling a bit to find a balance right now.

I've even thought about looking into a mood enhancer like Ephedrasil hardcore (which conveniently enough doubles as a weight lose product. Win/win. I'm just saying.) but I know I just have to find my balance and I think, for me, that means finding some time to take care of myself instead of taking care of everyone else BUT me. Sure, I know the Dakota is suffering law school fatigue but she isn't the only one. After four years of doing virtually all of it alone, I'm tired. And sometimes, I just need to come first. And I'm terrible at putting myself first for anything.

So today I did. I watched shows I enjoyed and just kicked back. It was nice.

Then lunchtime rolled around and after that Kaylen and I went on a bike ride/walk. I'm trying to get us out every dry day just to have some fresh air and get a little exercise.

And here we are. Three hours until Kelton arrives home from school and life kicks back into high gear of getting it all done and keeping it all together.

Remember the joke about sitting around watching soap operas and eating Bon Bons? Yeah - I could use some times like that a lot more often. :)

5 comments:

Perrin said...

Good for you Casey! I was talking to a mom at Kindergarten and she says every Friday afternoon she watches a movie and drinks hot cocoa. I always feel like I need to be doing something and rarely loaf around during the day. I think I am going to start allowing myself more downtime. It's not like I get it on the weekends or anything. SO I say, good for you.

SJayneI said...

Boy, do I hear you on this one!! I am trying to find ways to make myself a priority. I do not make time for me and am always taking care of a baby (or three or four), the house, Liz or something else. Never me. I need to change that! Good for you!!!

Stella said...

We call those Pajama Days at our house, and you didn't even get a whole one! With all the challenges you've experienced over the last month, you need some down time. And if you don't take it, your body will do it for you, by coming down with the flu or a virus...and then you have no choice but to curl up on the couch.

Monogram Queen said...

Chin up sweetie, I totally "get" where you are coming from.
Big hugs my friend!

Stacey said...

we all need breaks. glad you got a little one!