Friday, January 09, 2009

Blessing Amidst the Chaos

Today is the first day in weeks that I feel like I'm standing on solid ground. Well - maybe not solid but certainly not the quicksand I have been standing on for the past couple of weeks.

I credit that to the support all of you have been giving me though emails, comments both here and on Facebook, real life face time, phone calls, etc. Kelton has been placed on several prayer chains (for which I am grateful, thank you!) and is being thought about across the globe. Amazing, really. It's hard sometimes to feel connected to a world outside and yet here is proof positive; we are all connected.

I have family members calling regularly which remind me how much we are loved and cared about and how much they are standing at the ready to swoop in and hold us up if we need it. I have friends dropping of Peppermint Mochas who let me stand in the foyer and cry huge alligator tears of fear as they hold me up and remind me that we can do this; we can face whatever it is and get through whatever comes. Friends and family who absolutely refuse to believe anything serious could be wrong with such a strong, happy child. Friends who bring their babysitting-aged daughter to my house to stay with my kids so she can follow me, and then bring me home, from the car repair place. Who so thoughtfully brought along a peppermint mocha and then was appropriately impressed that I sucked that puppy down in the 4 minute drive. (What can I say? It's comfort food for me.)

I have a friend who sent an email yesterday asking me to allow her to bring us dinner. She ended her email with a "please say yes." so I responded with one word: yes. And a hot, homemade kid-friendly, healthy dinner was in my kitchen at 5pm. I can't begin to tell you how far that simple act of kindness went last night. Kelton was beaming that someone would be so nice to us and Dakota and I both felt "taken care of". So sweet and so kind. Thank you, friend.

I have friends texting just to let me know they are thinking of me. I walk by the computer to find the IM screen blinking at me; a friend from clear across the country writing to see if I'm doing ok.

Connected in a million ways to all of you - and it has all helped, and continues to help, so much.

We have no word on anything beyond the urine test. At this point I'm torn between wondering what will be harder: knowing or not knowing. In not knowing, there is worry and fear and pain and confusion and tears but in knowing the risk of it all being there for the long haul still exists. It may not be but it's still a huge risk. I know people always say it's better to know. I'm just not sure it's where I stand. Denial runs deep in me and it's a safe place. Reality? Well - it can be a very unforgiving place sometimes.

I want to say thank you. Thank you for being there and for helping to keep me standing these past few days. I'm pretty sure the ground I am standing on today wouldn't be what it is without you.

Keep praying. Keep thinking of us. We love you for it.

11 comments:

Tanya said...

Casey, I hope you get some news soon. Waiting can be agonizing. Does he have any other symptoms/issues at all, or is it stricly weight loss?

Darlene Williams said...

I'm sorry to here about Kelton. I hope it's not serious. The medical profession can be hard to handle and the waiting is the worst. Hang in there! Let me know if there is something I can do... Take care, Darlene

Casey said...

Tanya: At this point, and from what I can tell, it's just the weight loss. That said though - there could be things I'm missing. Now that he is gone at school all day, I see precious little of him. I just hope this all turns out to be nothing.

Darlene: Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Tribe Mama said...

Casey,
Having been on the side of the fence you are on now, the waiting is truly the worst. Once you know, you can plan the attack. As a mom who has stood where you are standing too many times with my oldest (seizures, food allergies, heart condition) once you know, you become an expert and attack the problem.

We are keeping you and yours in our thoughts and hope you find strength to bear the waiting, I assure you the sun is brighter once all the information is in. Hopefully the problem will be simple and easily handled.

Monogram Queen said...

You all are continuously in my thoughts and prayers Casey. I wish we lived closer.

Caroline said...

I just wish I lived closer so I could be one of the ones that brings you dinner or just stops by to say HI.

I will continue to keep Kelton (and the whole famiy) in my prayers.

Your family is very much loved.

Heidi P. said...

Still praying out here. Wish I could bring you dinner and coffee. Boo for having to live so far away. Keep me posted.

Heidi

Rainbow Momma said...

Oh Casey, I'm thinking of you and praying everything is just fine. Hang in there. Huge hugs!

gabrielle said...

thinking of you kelton and dakota and sending good wishes for good test results. I had seen your comments on facebook so headed over here to see what was up.I would have thought they would have some basic blood results back but maybe they are waiting for them all to get a full picture before talking to you. Hope it isn't too much longer

Kristen said...

I'm glad someone brought you dinner. I know how much that little act of kindness means.

Audra said...

Your family will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers!