Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Really Good Day

Yesterday was one of those really good days. I love those days because the make the most perfect memories to look back on during the really not good days. :)

The morning started out with the craziness surrounding getting everyone ready and out the door to Kelton's doctor appointment before school. I'm usually rushing every which way and barking directions at the kids (Shoes! Kelton, you need socks on first! Kaylen, please be sure you have gone potty. etc.) but yesterday when I walked into the living room I found this perfect little scene:

They were playing "Go Fish" and it was the most adorable thing. Kelton was helping her out but trying not to ask for all the cards he knew she had. He's such a sweet kid and a really amazing big brother.

Then we had the good doctor appointment.

The rest of the day went along per usual and before long, Kelton was home. He was happy and helpful and even happily did a bunch of chores to earn $5.00 that he so desperately wanted. Everyone ate a good dinner and helped clean up and then we all headed out to buy a bouquet of tulips, a birthday card and birthday balloon to deliver to the kids grandpa. We went over to the grandparents house and, even though we were pushing bedtime by a lot, the kids were well behaved and polite.

When we were at the store, there was a table set up by a group of Camp Fire kids and they were selling my beloved Camp Fire Mints. I love, love, love mints and I totally missed out last year. There was no way I was missing out this year. The kids and I stopped by and bought two boxes. A small, possibly unknown fact to you, is that I was in Camp Fire for 10 years and I am the proud recipient of the Wo-He-Lo Medallion (think Eagle Scout for Boy Scouts). I sold mints for years and years which sparked a conversation with the kids so on the way to and from the grandparents house we talked all about Camp Fire. They both want to join. :)

I answered questions and told them all about my ceremonial gown, the beads and badges and my charm bracelet. They were practically beside themselves with eagerness to see everything.

Once we arrived home we opened the box of mints and each had a couple and then the fun began. I pulled my gown out of the closet for them to see. They were mesmerized and asked a zillion questions (which of course I couldn't answer because at this point I have no idea what I did to earn the Tri-Ad bead or what hundreds of things I did to earn the beads. And the patches? Yeah - no clue. I tried my best to explain things but then Kelton's eyes got really big and he asked "Can I try it on?"

Sure - why not. So both kids tried it on.





From there we moved to the jewelry box so they could both try on my charm bracelet and see my medallion.

Kaylen said, with her voice dripping with awe, "Mom! I'm so impressed! I didn't know you were so important."

And there you have it. A perfect day. Plus - my kids think I'm important! :)

I put the kids to bed and I happily floated through the rest of my evening. What a great day!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE days like that! So awesome you had one! You ARE a terrific mom! Jeri

Tina said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRGGGGGGG!!! I was a Campfire Girl!! Started as a Blue Bird....hehehehee!!

Where did you find the mints? OMG, I remember selling that candy.

Casey said...

Willow: Thanks. :)

Tina: The Safeway by my house is where I found them. How long were you in Camp Fire?

A Jersey Girl said...

What a wonderful day!

Emily

Lielanie said...

What an awesome memory! I cannot believe all those patches and such, I've never done any thing like that (due to extreme shyness) but that is great!

Tina said...

Goodness, it seems like forever, but I'm guessing 4-5 years. Maybe. More than likely it was just 3 years. I know I 'graduated' from a Blue Bird to Camp Fire girl, but I don't remember doing anything after that.

I have a picture somewhere of me wearing my Blue Bird uniform. I don't remember getting patches or things like that... I probably did.

Mimi said...

Casey, bird blue here....I have a dumb question...isn't camp fire just for girls? like boy scouts are for boy?

Kristen said...

I was a girl scout and have a jacket covered with badges hanging in my closet. I should pull it out and let Audrey play with it. She'd love it.

I'm glad your kids finally realized how important you are.

Casey said...

Mimi - it used to be until the early 1980's. Then it changed to Camp Fire Boys and Girls and now it's just Camp Fire USA.

It had something to do with there not being a group of it's equal for boys. There was Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts which is seperate but equal. So Camp Fire had to change.

:)

Monogram Queen said...

Of COURSE you are important!

You deserve a "really good day" - lots of them in fact!!!