Friday, September 07, 2007

School Buses and Seat Belts

I know many people have asked if there are seat belts on school buses and the answer is no, there are not. Here is what the National Highway Transportation Administration has to say about why there are no seat belts. Ironically enough, even though I am a stickler for my children's safety, I am ok with there being no belts in the buses.

Here is the website I am referencing: http://www.nea.org/esphome/issues/seatbelt.html

**snip**
The National Highway Transportation Administration (NHTSA) has issued a position statement on seat belts on school buses, concluding that "there is insufficient reason for a Federal mandate for seat belts on large school buses." The statement points out that:

"School bus transportation is one of the safest forms of transportation in the United States. We require all new school buses to meet safety requirements over and above those applying to all other passenger vehicles. These include requirements for improved emergency exits, roof structure, seating and fuel systems, and bus body joint integrity. These requirements help ensure that school buses are extremely safe."

NHTSA feels that the best way to provide crash protection to passengers is through "compartmentalization," in which "buses provide occupant protection so that children are protected without the need to buckle-up. Occupant crash protection is provided by a protective envelope consisting of strong, closely-spaced seats that have energy-absorbing seat backs."

**end snip**

5 comments:

amy4 said...

Hi Casey, I just started reading your blog (I think you do an awesome job!) Thank you for the info about seat belts and buses. Nathan - my son who is seven didn't start taking the bus until the last month of Kindergarten (when we moved to Vancouver). Before that, I drove him everyday because we lived too close to the school (but also a little too far to walk in the morning!). But I can completely relate to all the feelings you are expressing about Kelton taking the bus. I definitely had many of those same feelings sending Nate off on the bus when he was taking it during the last month of Kindergarten (but he was nearly a first-grader at this point!). But he REALLY was excited about taking the bus. They did assign him a "big buddy" who would make sure he got on the bus okay at the end of school. I don't know the best answer regarding Kelton taking the bus, but my advice is that I would "go with your gut" and do what is best for you and Kelton. Best wishes!
-Amy Price (from MC!)

Audra said...

Oh great! I never knew that! I always just assumed they weren't safe without seatbelts!

Rainbow Momma said...

Ah! I've always wondered - to the point to asking if I could transport my own kid for field trips. Thanks for doing my homework. LOL!

SJayneI said...

I've read that before. I think my issue is that the kids should be used to seat belts and if they are in them, they would stay in their seats. There are many reasons for a seat belt. I think I will have some isues, but I don't have to worry about this for another 5 years. :)

Monogram Queen said...

I always wondered about that. I still take issue with the fact that (in South Carolina) we are forced by law to buckle up (which I would do anyway) and yet there are no seat belts on school buses and motorcycle riders can ride without helmets.....