Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Loose Tooth Update

Is no news good news when it relates to a loose tooth? I don't think so but then it seems I am the only one around here waiting on pins and needles for that darn little thing to come out. Kelton has all but stopped wiggling it and he seems really nervous about it coming out. His fear has run from "It's going to hurt to eat food without my tooth." to "Does this mean I have to give up my baby blanket?" (which he absolutely does not have to do) so the fact that he is holding on so tight to that thing brings home the fact that this poor little guy is undergoing some major changes and is having trouble coping. Clearly loosing his baby tooth is being equated to "You are no longer our baby. You are a big kid and everything from here on out changes."

We are reassuring him on all fronts and though I can tell he is relieved to hear the words being said, I'm not sure he trusts what he is hearing. I can't blame him - I would imagine it's a hard place emotionally for him to be; one foot in the real world of "big kids" and one foot still needing and wanting to be "little". I can see him struggle with it and it's hard to watch. I know he will figure it out and everything will be ok (we all go through it) eventually.

I have explained that fact that his tooth is going to come out whether he wants it to or not but that's about all I can do. I remember not wanting to loose my top front tooth (which was clearly hanging on by pure magic and nothing else) when I was six. I did everything in my power not to touch it. Finally my dad took me to my grandma's house and she asked to look at it and when I opened my mouth to show her she reached in and *BAM* it was out. Loosing teeth is scary and exciting and overwhelming but I'm telling you, the way that puppy is moving around in there it can't possibly be much longer. I just hope he doesn't end up swallowing it in his sleep.

And while the Tooth Fairy won't be leaving a land deed for Wilmington NC real estate, I have a feeling that a shiny gold coin is waiting for him....and maybe she'll throw in a paper dollar for good measure. It is, after all, his first tooth. First teeth are special. :)

11 comments:

Brenda said...

Change can be hard, but Kelton will do just fine.

Sorry to hear about the bees...

Casey said...

Brenda: Yeah - he'll be fine. He's a strong kid and I bet he comes around in a day or two once he has time to process everything. The first 24 hours was pure excitement. I'm sure we'll cycle back through to it soon. :)

Perrin said...

The teeth can hang in there quite a while. My kid loves to sit and wiggle hers out. She lost one at school on the playground and one at the park so they can easily happen when the kids forget.

Monogram Queen said...

First teeth are VERY special!

When my first tooth was loose I was in a panic. My older sisters finally talked me into tying a string around it. I screamed and pitched a fit that it was going to h-u-u-u rt when pulled out. Finally I agreed that we would tie the string to MY bedroom door and when we slammed it, out the tooth would come. I don't remember exactly which of the three of them came up with THAT scenario. So off we trooped upstairs, when we got upstairs lo and behold I had stomped on the string on the way up inadvertantly yanking the tooth out - AND DIDN'T EVEN FEEL A THING.

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Yes the tooth fairy can be especially generous for the first tooth....she left $5 for each kid for their first tooth with a cute little note that it was ONLY because it was a FIRST tooth and not to expect it every time (she works on a budget you know)

Sheri said...

Boy, times have changed. In 1970, teeth were worth a quarter (a dollar if the dentist had to pull it). I have a feeling that Kelton will get excited about his tooth again soon. My niece just lost her first teeth. She got excited about watching for the new permanent teeth to grow. Now, she has to show me how much her new teeth have grown.

Froggymama said...

I was terrified of turning five, and kept asking my mom,"What will happen when I'm five?" My mom said, "we'll have a birthday party and then you'll be five." But I wanted no part of it. When the day came, and went, and nothing traumatic happened, I realized that, like most things, it wasn't as scary as I'd thought. I'm sure this transition into big-boy-hood, will be just as easy. It's just the anticipation of the event that's tough.

Lynilu said...

Transitions ... always exciting, and usually anxiety provoking because we can't see what is next. But your boy is a sturdy and curious one, and my bet is that he will do well, just as he has done so far. Firsts are fun!

SassyFemme said...

Oh I feel bad for him, all worried about things. Hope he does cycle back to excitement.

Casey said...

Perrin: That tooth is still hanging in. I figure it will come out eventually. :)

Patti: That story cracks me up! :)

Cheeky: Thanks for visiting me! :) I was thinking of doing something grand for the first tooth - I just don't know what yet. But he does know the first tooth is the most special and thereafter, teeth are worth a dollar each. :)

Sheri: I think I received a dime for each tooth. But I guess there is the cost of living increase to take into account. :) :)

FroggyMama: I think that is it exactly! There is so much "importance" put in being five and growing up, etc and I think this is his small way of trying to slow things back down. I'm with him - it's moving too fast so it's ok with me that he takes his time with this milestone. :)

Lynilu: I agree - he will do just fine once the transition is here. :) He's a strong kid.

SassyFemme: I think watching the kids have their internal struggles are the hardest part of watching them grow.

Laura said...

I can't wait to see a gap-toothed grin. Big hugs to Kelton!!! I hope it's not too traumatic for him when it does come out. And tell him Brendan can't wait to join him with a loose tooth, he keeps fiddling all of his, trying to find a loose one, lol.