Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Autumn


It's one of those perfect autumn days. It's cool and crisp with blue sky poking through. The kids and I have been outside playing for a while and we had so much fun watching the leaves falling all around us. We talked about how much fun it will be when the front yard tree drops its colorful, dry, crackling leaves all over the yard. Kelton could clearly remember last year when, after returning home from a dinner out, all four of us played tagged in, rolled around in and tossed handfuls of leaves at each other. I was surprised at the level of detail he could recall - including where we had eaten dinner. I can't wait to do that again in a few weeks.

We're one of those neighbors that probably drive you crazy. We wait and let every leaf fall from the tree before we rake them up (or let the wind blow them away as we did last year. We didn't plan it but apparently Mother Nature thought we needed a break and gave us a huge windstorm. The next day - the yard was clean! Loved that!). We love to let the leaves hang around for a while so that we can play in them and take our annual autumn photos of the kids. Meanwhile, our neighbors across the street are out every other day raking and sweeping and cleaning up their yard. I'm sure we drive them crazy. :)

Yes, it's true. I love autumn. I love everything about it...the scents, the colors, the briskness, the jeans and light jackets or sweater....everything. I find myself standing in front of the window or sliding glass door just watching the world this time of year. I just can't get enough of it. So I ask you, is it wrong to want an outdoor kitchen so that we can sit out on the patio all bundled up while we (and by "we" I mean Dakota) cook dinner and watch the leaves tumble to the ground?

Happy Autumn everyone!

16 comments:

Audra said...

Man am I jealous! In Virginia, we had such beautiful fall colors. Here, we have palm trees, which are pretty but never give me that sense of autumn!

And wow! Would I LOVE an outdoor kitchen!!

Sheryl said...

We've had a nice, cool, rainy fall day here in KC today. I love autumn best, too. That crisp air, those brilliant colors...you can't beat it! I keep saying to Caroline that it'll soon be time for us to hit the hiking trails and check out the beautiful fall colors! Thanks for all your great pictures, too, by the way! I need to have Caroline teach me how to put pics on my blog. It's still in a development phase!

Unknown said...

Hey, you and Melanie are making me re-think autumn. She wrote something very similar on her blog, titles New Chapter or something like that. Love it!

One Boys Mom said...

Fantastic photo!

Casey said...

Audra: Palm trees are nice but you're right - nothing about them scream "autumn!". I'll kick some leaves around for you. :)

Sheryl: Adding pictures is pretty easy. Blogger makes all things pretty easy - gotta love that! I'm sure you'll be "photo ready" in no time! :)

Nikki: Sounds like I need to check out Melanie's blog tonight. :)

Daclan's Mom: I cheated. That's a photo I took two years ago. Look closely and you will see a 3 year old Kelton. :)

Perrin said...

I'm with you 100%. I adore the season. Leaves, clean air, pumpkin treats, back to school. I would even say I ended up in the NW because of it. I visited U of O in the fall and just had to be there.

Caroline said...

That is the most precious picture of Kelton. LOVE IT.

I am also very happy about fall finally being here. I am thrilled because the 7 day forecast here does not have temps higher then the 70s.

I got a good laugh with your leaf story from last year. I will pray that there is another windstorm and your leaves will magically disappear again this year. :)

Kristen said...

I see a lovely scrapbooking page coming from that picture! (oh, skipped ahead in the comments, see its an old one. oh well, still would make a good scrap page, maybe with one of him now in the same pose...)
I'm of the "leave the leaves alone" mind too. its what nature intended!

Holly said...

I am jealous too! I absolutely love autumn!!! I love the changing leaves and the switch from shorts to jeans and the cool air!

It's 80 here today. So not New England autumn weather, but we are hopefully going to be in our prime season shortly too!

I love the picture of Kelton! It's priceless!

Monogram Queen said...

I sure do need to move someplace that has more "seasons". I'm kidding I heart SC but I am ready for Fall and you are making me even more ready!

Lynilu said...

I'm with you. I love autumn. The cooling and crispness is so refreshing. Of course, I don't dread winter like some people do, so it doesn't have the mixed feeling. I'll enjoy a few weeks of this and then ... bring on the snow!!

In KC, my hub used to mulch the leaves with the mower to prepare the lawn for the following summer. The excess went into the flower beds. I didn't have to rake them, so it was a winner in my opinion!! Now I live where there are mostly pines and evergreens, and the property is mostly in a natural state. No worry about leaves here! Love it!

Kelton is so cute in that picture!

Anonymous said...

We are having the same fall like day here in Chicago. This is also my fav time of the year. My kids go nuts over the colors and oh yes, halloween!

Heidi

Stacey said...

LOVE that picture. I love fall too and we don't rake up our leaves as they fall. It seems pointless.

Gandksmom said...

Autum is my favorite time of the year also. I used to love the first day of school with new shoes and clothes! I remember going to my closet and just looking at and sniffing my new shoes! LOL! We have great fall's up here in Upstate NY! It truly is my favorite time of the year!

Sheri said...

I'm with you ... I LOVE Fall!!!

Shannon said...

I'm with you. Autumn his my favourite season. I love all the things you mentioned.

Great photo of Kelton!