Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Have You Seen My Groove?

I can't find my groove. Seriously. It's like I have been walking along the beach when suddenly a ginormous wave came and knocked me over. I've lost my footing and I'm scrambling.

Yep. That about says it all. Since Dakota and Kelton both started school I am finding it hard to find my rhythm. The getting Kelton ready for school and to school part isn't the issue - we're fine there (and for those wondering, he has decided that for now he wants me to take him to school but for no other reason that he likes to be there early so he can talk and play with the other kids as they arrive. When he goes on the bus, they keep them contained on the bus until the first bell rings. Clearly that was putting a cramp in his social life. *grin* I don't mind. I actually enjoy taking him.) it's just that after Kaylen and I walk away from the school things seem to stop making sense. Part of me is missing and it's such a weird feeling.

Kaylen and I went to Costco on Monday and it just seemed not quite right. Not enough chaos around me, I suppose. Yesterday we went to MOMS Club but even Kaylen complained of missing Kelton. She said "Dis no fun without Kelton." I had to agree that it wasn't nearly as much fun. More calm, yes. But definitely more lonely.

When we picked Kelton up yesterday I decided to take them to IHOP for lunch. This was BIG for us. Kelton has been wanting to go but I have never taken them out to eat by myself. We've hit drive-thru's, yes, but never a sit down meal. They actually did really well. I was encouraged.

Today Kaylen and I just hung out at home. I balanced the checkbook (something I could never ever do with both of them here), watched some TV with Kaylen, answered some emails, did some laundry and even chatted for a few minutes on IM with a friend. The house is so quiet ithout him here that it's almost eerie.

It's such a relief when the clock says it's time to go get Kelton. When we are all together again I think we all breathe easier.

That's not to say the afternoons are heaven on earth. Far from. But they are "normal" as we know it.

On the plus side of things though the vice principal was in Kelton's room this morning when we arrived and she took me aside and asked "Is Kelton *always* this happy? Every day when I come through here he is just full of live, grins and happiness. He really makes my day - I really enjoy him!" I said that yes, he was always like that and always has been. And that part is so very true. The child is one of the happiest people I've ever known. It's so great that someone noticed that *and* took the time to share it with me.

Here is an interesting fact that I learned this week: when you are getting ready to teach your child how to write it may be to your advantage to contact the school in your area to ask what handwriting style they are using. Confused? Yeah - me too. See, I noticed that the papers Kelton brought home had the practice words written in a font that I can only really describe as "italic-like". There were tail-like things on the end of letters and it clearly had Kelton confused. He even asked why there was a "funky J in his name". I didn't understand it myself as I had always assumed that school taught block-style manuscript - you know the kind I'm talking about - the kind they teach on Sesame Street and the kind you see in every learning to write book. It's probably the style you were taught with.

Boy did I assumed so wrong. Never in a million years would I have thought to call to ask what style they taught. Turns out, the entire school district (like many across the United States and beyond) teaches and uses D'nealian Handwriting. The premise is all well and good but wow! What a shocker. So now Kelton has to essentially relearn how to write. I picked up practice books from the school and I plan on ordering some wall posters so that we can immerse ourselves in this new writing technique.

Check it out:


Old style "wake"

New style "wake"

Old style:

New style:



I always figured math would be a problem in the higher grades what with the "new math" stuff (and it was never my strong subject) but I never guessed I wouldn't be able to help with the writing part. So..not only am I trying to find a groove...I also have to relearn to write. Fun.

13 comments:

Audra said...

At least kindergarden is only half day? I think that is the handwriting style I learned on- but I remember my mom saying the same thing- I started writing in a different font, and had to re-learn it! what a pain!

Lynilu said...

Baby steps, Casey, baby steps! It will become easier along the way. It sounds as if he is doing great, and it is hard for us moms to accept that our babies can be OK without us. Mine is 37, and I still think at times that she should still be more dependent on me. For my peace of mind! The writing thing is interesting. It actually makes sense to me, because it will be easier to transition into handwriting. But I don't have to try to relearn, so of course, it is OK with me!

Hang in there!

Perrin said...

I am right there with you Casey. Everything feels off and crazy right now and I can barely get a moment to breathe. I know in a couple of weeks we will have readjusted. I made C stay in this evening rather than playing with the neighbor kids because I really just needed to see her. D and I are doing better this week now that preschool has started and we are getting busier. You'll find a new normal soon. That is an awesome complement you got for Kelton. Yeah!

Sheri said...

Holy moley, handwriting ... seriously??? My block printing and handwriting are sloppy mixes of each other. Guess I better start practicing now. THANKS for the heads up!

As for grooves, when we have a "schedule shift" here, I make a weekly planner and block times to do chores, tv time with Nick, MOMS activities, exercise times, etc. This forces me to not think, JUST DO. So, for a week or two, my "groove" is scheduled, until I realize I'm not relying on my planner to keep me moving.

Just a thought. Hope it helps :-)

Stacey said...

hope you find your groove soon.

That's a weird kind of font to learn printing. Why would they go with that and not the block style that is universal? Odd.

My mom taught me to read and write early on because I really wanted to learn. Sometimes schools don't appreciate it but I think it's because they want to teach you and don't want you bored and ahead of the class. :P

em1__mak2 said...

M is already doing the same style handwriting in Pre-K. I believe the theory is it has something to do with being more natural than the old block style, and makes it easier to transition to cursive.

As for math... have you looked at the "standards" yet and seen "algebraic thinking" in every grade K-12? Indeed it sounds shocking, but it's actually a very natural way of thinking in those early years. If you see Kelton bringing home work about patterns, that's algebraic thinking for the little ones and it's actually one of the more enjoyable aspects of math to teach. Kids tend to love finding patterns in things, especially when they're able to do it on their own in the "real world."

Sounds like everyone's creating a new groove and you'll all move into it quickly. Excellent that Kelton is so visibly happy in his new groove. It's always nice to have a little ray of sunshine around a school.

mel

Monogram Queen said...

You'll get your groove back. I know what you mean about it being quiet and "different" when they aren't there. Those little selves make a HUGE difference don't they?
I am delighted the asst. principal said that to you. I know it made your heart sing to know someone else knows what a happy sweet boy you have!

Dakota said...

Yeah us - we are raising a happy child!!!!! (Two really...)

Sorry, honey. I know you are going through a hard adjustment. You will get there. In a few months, I bet you and Kaylen are looking forward to your special time together.

Love,
D

Unknown said...

Kelton is the happiest kid I know too! That's great that he's such a positive force in the classroom. Thanks for sharing the handwriting thing. I see why they're doing it, but yes, it's nice to know before you've taught your kid the wrong way!

yankeegirl said...

Yes- lynilu is right-the transition to cursive is MUCH easier. I homeschooled my older two kids and I taught them italic, it's very similar to D'nealian. D'nealian is all the rage around here too- it's what they taught my youngest at school here.

Personally- after everything you've had going on- if you just now feel like you lost you're groove-I'd say you're doing AWESOME. Give yourself credit for all the great stuff you do EVERY day., like keeping those little ones fed and cared for, your house taken care of , your partner happy and able to focus on her work and school because of ALL THE GREAT STUFF you do! ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Yes my kids learned this style almost 20 years ago and I adopted it then to help teach them and I still print using D'nealian.
Elizabeth - CA

Casey said...

Audra: Yes, it's only a half day. Thankfully.

Lynilu: The writing stuff does make sense - I like the theories behind it. I just wish I would have known earlier in the game. But yep - baby steps. Everything is baby steps right now.

Perrin: I'm right there too. I don't want to share him with other people, activities or errands. I just want our "regular life". *Sigh*

Sheri: Good thought, thanks!

Stacey: They actually want kids to know so much now so teaching early is good. I just wish I had been teaching what they wanted him to learn. *sigh*

Mel: Thanks. :)

Patti_Cake: Yep - always good to have others see what I see in him.

Dakota: :)

Nikki: Thanks for the compliment on my boy. And you are welcome for the heads up! :)

YankeeGirl: Thank you for your kind words. I feel like suddenly I'm not doing all the great. Ebbs and flows, ebbs and flows. The rhythm of life I guess. But Thank you so much for posting.

Elizabeth: Wow. I had no idea it had been around for so long. Interesting.

Froggymama said...

Both of your kids are always smiling or making funny faces! It's wonderful and must reflect your superb parenting of course!