Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Computer is Home!

There's no place like home! I have my desktop computer back and everything is once again right with the world. I am so very grateful that I had a laptop to fall back on because I think I may have gone a bit batty without contact to the outside world but I am so, so, so happy to be sitting at my desk typing on a regular keyboard.

Apparently, even after 40 some hours of virus repair work, system sweeps, defrags, etc. with The Geek Squad (yes, that's the name of a real place. I believe they are affiliated with Best*Buy) we still had a whopping TWENTY SIX virus' (and I believe GS removed many as well - not to mention a ton of spyware)! I find that unbelievable. From my best guess work, I think we have been without anti-virus protection for three or four weeks (unbeknownst to me, I might add. I didn't realize it was time to renew it and I sure don't remember seeing anything pop up on my screen telling me it had lapsed). What kind of sickos are out there writing computer virus' to screw up the lives of people they have never met, nor will ever meet? What is the point, I ask you?? I seriously do not get it.

I really liked the computer guy who helped us. He was very quiet but clearly knows his stuff. He picked up the CPU yesterday at 3pm and this morning at 10am I had a call asking when it would be a good time to bring it back. Now that is service, my friend! :) And really - for all the work he had to put into this (he didn't wipe the hard drive, instead he went in an removed every single virus which means we didn't lose a thing!) his charge was reasonable! $163.00 which is only $64 than we were paying with GS (we got a full refund from them since they weren't able to help us). We also had him add some memory as well as a virus protection program (fool me once and all that jazz...).

Sure, I'd rather have done something fun with the money like buy tickets to a NCAA Tournament but what can you do? A person needs a computer. :)

It's so nice to be able to blog again! :)

4 comments:

Audra said...

That is awesome! And very well priced for all that work! I'm so glad you're back and up and running!

Casey said...

Audra: Thanks - me too! And I thought he was incredible reasonable! GS charges almost $300 to make a housecall. Eeeek! I am so happy that we were pointed in this guys direction. What a relief!

Anonymous said...

Yea!!! I'm so glad that he worked well for you!

Anonymous said...

YAY for having your computer back! :) I'm so glad it went well - UGG computer issues are the worst!