Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Boy Has A Loose Tooth!

Yes it's true. Five years to the week of his first tooth popping through his tender baby gum, it is loose. And not just a little bit wiggly...a whole lot wiggly! He is over the moon delighted at his new official "big kid" status.

We were brushing teeth tonight and after he finished his brushing I took over control of the toothbrush to be sure things were well brushed and I noticed that his lower front tooth didn't look quite right. (In truth, I've noticed the past couple of days that the bottom teeth seemed to be smooshed together more than usual but didn't give it too much thought.) I looked more closely and then I touched it - that thing was so darn wiggly that I jumped back and squealed "Your tooth is loose! Feel this!" He put his finger on the tooth, wiggled and screamed "I've been waiting for this day all my life!!!! I have a loose tooth!!! MOM! MY TOOTH IS LOOSE!!!!"

It was the funniest thing - Kaylen and I crowded around him watching him wiggle his tooth.

He said "Mom - I need an apple! If I eat an apple it might come out." So I went to the kitchen and got him one. He tried but finally admitted that it sort of hurt to bite with it. We decided wiggling would be the best way for now. And wiggle he did.

He wanted to call Dakota but she was already in class. I checked MSN*Messenger to see if she was logged in but she wasn't (very unusual). He looked sadly at me and said "Who can I call to tell?" We decided to call Aunt Lannon who guessed his big news on the first try. After that it was a call to his cousin Mikayla who is also experiencing her first loose tooth. The two talked on and on and on about wiggling teeth, The Tooth Fairy, how much the Tooth Fairy would leave and what they would buy with their money. It was pretty darn cute and I loved being a fly on the wall to their conversation.

He went to bed happy and excited. Another milestone reached. Next stop - a visit from the Tooth Fairy. He can't wait. And you know what? Neither can I. :)

11 comments:

Froggymama said...

Hilarious. I LOVE the "I've been waiting for this my whole life" comment.

Kristen said...

Cute! I can't believe he has a loose tooth already. how fun. Now you just have to figure out a way to digitally scrap the actual tooth...hmmm...

Perrin said...

That is so wonderfully fun. Our tooth fairy makes my child cute notes with glittery pens that she loves just as much as the money. Losing a tooth is the height of excitement around here. And they look so cute with their toothless grins.

Audra said...

AW! that is fantastic! Go Kelton!

Lynilu said...

First loose tooth is *such* a big e vent!! So exciting! And I love Kelton's words! He has to be such a fun kiddo to be around with his vocabulary and sense of life!! Lucky you!

Sheri said...

I love it! BIG congrats to your BIG boy. We obviously have a long time before we get to this stage, but I learned (www.toothfairy.org):

1. The Tooth Fairy says the going rate is one whole dollar! She thinks teeth are precious, even if they are just little bitty baby teeth.

2. The tooth Fairy puts all the teeth she collects in a pink cloud on the other side or the rainbow.

I thought it was FUN! :-)

Shannon said...

That's so fun!

Monogram Queen said...

That is AWESOME and I loved his comment that Froggymamma mentioned also. That kid cracks me up!
I plan on using a gold dollar when my girl loses her first tooth. How exciting! Yay Kelton!

Caroline said...

How fun. I can't wait to see what he says after the tooth fairy visits him.

Casey said...

FroggyMama: Isn't he funny? :) I made a video of him saying it and I want to post it but I don't seem to have luck with decent quality. I just may post it anyway. It's too cute. :)

Kristen: Maybe I'll scan it. :) Nah - probably will just take a picture of it. It is so loose than I'm amazed it is still in there.

Perrin: Love your Tooth Fairy! :) Today Kelton wanted me to draw a picture of him with a missing bottom tooth. He is too funny and so excited...with a little nervous/scared thrown in. He didn't want to wiggle it tonight for some reason.

Audra: :)

Lynilu: I am VERY lucky! :)

Sheri: I checked out the site - very fun! And no worries - your turn will be here very soon. It's stunning how quickly it goes.

Shannon: Very fun! :)

Patti: He is a very funny kid. The things he comes up with - they slay me! :) A gold coin - great idea!

Caroline: I can't wait either. I was thinking it woul dbe today or tomorrow but with his not wanting to wiggle it, it could be a couple days. *sigh*

Mieke said...

Jonas just got a loose tooth too. It is the one we thought we'd have to have pulled. YEE HA! He's also very excited.

I can't believe they're growing up so quickly.