Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Buzz Buzz Buzz

Did you hear that? It's the sound of bees.

Yes, you read that correctly. Bees. Yellow jackets, to be precise. Lots and lots of yellow jackets going back and forth from places unknown to............you guessed it.........the crawl space of our house.

Are you kidding me??????????

I wanted to run for the hills, or at least a nice piece of West Palm Beach real estate when we discovered the bees on Saturday. There I was, happily going about the business of pre-winterizing the backyard (putting the summer toys away, deflating and putting away the pool, trimming up the plants, etc.) when I suddenly realized there was a lot of bee activity happening under the kitchen window. I stopped and watched for a minute and yes indeed - there were bees...lots and lots of bees coming and going through the venting. I seriously wanted to cry!

Monday found us calling the bee guy (in between calls to The Geek Squad for the computer stuff) and scheduling a time for them to come out to take care of our "new friends". The owner of the company (he was also the 3rd guy who came out when the bumble bees refused to leave last month) was waiting for me when the kids and I arrived home after picking Kelton up at school. He looked at me and said with a half-laugh "If it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all, would you?" He sure hit that nail on the head! That's exactly how I was feeling about all this bee trouble. What were the chances we'd have to have someone out to take care of bees under the house *four* times in one summer? Four times!!

He went under the house and removed the nest. He said it was pretty new and only about the size of a honeydew melon. (Just between you and me, I think that's a pretty darn good size but what do I know?) He sprayed the area both under the house and outside and said that should do it. Let's hope so. As he was leaving Kelton yelled out "Bye! See you next year!" Oh I hope not. I would like to be "bee free" for at least one year. I really don't think that's so much to ask.



save our homes

11 comments:

Sheri said...

(I'm speechless) ... I can't even believe you had 3 rounds, let alone 4! I sure hope those little buzzers leave you all alone for good. Happy Bee-Free Thoughts!!!

Audra said...

wow. I seriously cannot believe that!! At least this company keeps coming back out!

Shannon said...

Oh wow, I can't believe that. I would have freaked out too. Hopefully next year is bee-free!

Monogram Queen said...

Bees are a pain the neck. Those might have been carpenter bees also which wreaked havoc on my sisters house a few years ago. Here's for being Bee Free For You And Me!

Caroline said...

Damn.....I am so sorry about the bees. But I will say you are handling this so well. I am sure if I were in your shoes I would be thinking of how I could just burn the house down.

Casey said...

Sheri: I cna't beleive it either. It's just too much. Thanks for the good thoughts.

Audra: Yep - they keep coming out. The bumble bee visits (3) were covered for 90 days under one charge. The yellow jackets, since they are different bees in a different location, are covered for 60 days under another charge. But they are a good company and they are the place that offers the longest guarentee.

Shannon: Let's hope so!

Patti: I don't think they are carpenter bees...at least, he didn't say they were. Wow - I feel bad for your sister - that must have been awful!

Caroline: Oh believe me, I had thoughts about selling the house and getting the heck out of "bee zone" but we'd just have to take care of the bee problem first since it would be found on inspection and once the bees are gone - well..might as well stay put. Besides, we need a place to live. :) :)

Shannon said...

You won't believe this, but we just found about 10 bees in between Erik's window and screen... we're getting someone to look into it today. Unbelievable, after I just read this on your blog a couple of hours ago!

Melanie said...

It must be this area. We have little nests all over the place in our backyard too! We've gone through a couple of Raid bottles this summer!

Stacey said...

glad they're gone! that's lousy you had to deal with it so many times.

Anonymous said...

Oh casey!! this bee thing has been a total nightmare for you guys! I'm so sorry! (cleaver ad placement in there too ;))

Casey said...

Shannon: Oh no! I'm so sorry. I hope it is an easy (and inexpensive) fix for you.

Melanie: The bee guy says it's a very common problem all over but until we moved here, I'd never, ever had a bee problem. BUt it seems like we battle them every year. Ick.

Stacey: Thanks!

Shawna: Did you like that? I was feeling pretty sneaky. :)