Tuesday, November 29, 2005

So I'm Wondering......

....if you build it, will they really come?

I've been tossing around the idea of opening up a parenting message board that is not Yahoo based. It would be an actual board with different topic areas that caters to the lesbian parent but is inclusive of all open and accepting moms who want to join. It would host a range of "rooms" from preconception to empty nest so that there would be something for everyone. The nice thing about this set up is that if you aren't interested in reading about something, like TTC, then you can skip that room and later start reading it if you choose.

Maybe you want to talk about the teenage years...or maybe you just want a "sneak peek". There's a place for that. What about going through IVF? What about DI? What about pregnancy? Yep - rooms for all of that all within a single location.

You can even have avatars (which are pictures attached to your bio info on every post you make. It's fun!). And there are a lot of emoticons you can use (smiley faces, etc).

Another plus is your mailbox isn't stuffed to overflowing. You would go to the board to read and post.

It would be a whole new world. But....would people come?

I currently am owner of a board on Yahoo (Moms To Babies) and it just went through its first growing pain (it's a relatively new board). A big argument with people angry on all sides. Some people left, some threatened to leave, one was removed (which I am still very conflicted about). It is waaaaaaay too much drama for me. I just want to have fun, make friends, be reassured that I'm doing ok, learn new things, think about things I've never before thought. I want a place where I can stay and grow - even after my baby isn't a baby anymore.

I belong to a few different message boards and I love them. They all provide something different and yet, they have a common theme: women who are trying their best.

So I ask the rhetorical question yet again.....if I build it, will they come?

6 comments:

Laura said...

I love message boards, I would be there. I remember at one point way back on L-Moms, that Tammy put out something about having a message board instead and people weren't enthused, but I don't that that many had had much experience with message boards.

em1__mak2 said...

Definitely. If it doesn't cost you anything other than the time and effort to create and manage it, give it a shot. We are all in need of some sort of forum for support and "friendship" or we wouldn't even know each other. The more avenues the better. JMHO...

Sonya said...

Would it be all web based or could you opt for e-mails. While I'd prefer web based, I am limited with work access. I can however fill up my in box with e-mails. Crazy, I know.

Shawna said...

well i'll be there you know! (as long as you don't mind a boring old straight gal ;))

Anonymous said...

You know I'd be there too - even if I'm more of a lurker then a poster! :o)

Casey said...

Sonya,
It would be web-based and I don't think there is a way to set up email access merely for the fact that it's broken down into "rooms". It's a completely different look and feel than Yahoo. Things stay much better organized. :)

But I see you are on more and more in the evenings..... :) :)