Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I really don't enjoy evenings

I used to. I used to love evenings - it meant my family was all together under one roof after being away during the day. Dinner would be cooking, delicious scents wafting through the air. The prince would be with D either helping her cook or entertaining her with the happenings of his day (ok - so all nights weren't the Rockwell picture I am painting but still....). I'd be plopped on the couch watching the news and catching up with the world. It was the one time of the day, no matter how crazy the day had been, that I knew I could just kick back and not be "Mom on Patrol".

I don't so much enjoy the evenings these days. By 4pm the kids are hitting meltdown and I'm not far behind and yet.....hours of work stretch out before me. I have to get dinner ready, served and cleaned up- usually with a 9 month old attached to my pant leg. I need to pick up and once again reorganize the house. Run bath time, get both in jammies and the little girl trundled off to dreamland all the while navigating potential land mines. Some nights I narrowly escape everything being blown to bits and some days, I don't even come close to escaping.

What is it about the proverbial "witching hours"? Is there a handbook out there that all children read that says "As the sun fades, start crying and fussing and carrying on....your parents will love this and will be drawn to spending time with you."? It's nuts.....and it's always, always, always the time of day I lose the battle to be sane.

Tonight was one of those bad nights. Oy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you do it every day by yourself! I know it isn't easy with D at school.

You are a remarkable mom!

If you get a chance, put in one of your favorite episodes of the L-Word and enjoy a "Shane Fix"

:o)

Catherine said...

Casey, I understand, I am not alone with Robbie all day, but I come home from work at 2:15 long enough to see Karen for 3-5 minutes then she is gone to work and I am on my own. I miss family dinners and our family time. And it is hard to make dinner with a little one. Robbie tries to steal the dog food and grab the newspapers (left down for stupid dog accidents) and play with them. Just sending an understanding hug your way.

gabrielle said...

yep in our house this time is known as arsenic hour/s. really not looking forward to a month of them on my own starting next week. I think I need to con people into coming to visit at 5pm to provide distraction for the smalls

Sonya said...

Ahh... the end of the day. I understand.

In our house there seems to be so much to do "at the end of the day" and the children seem far less cooperable... and I feel like I have less patience... and I'm not even the one who was home with them all day. I continually ask... how do you do it?

I don't know how you do it. I don't even know how you all desire to do it. BUT, I do LOVE that C wants to continue to be a SAHM. I think you all are giving your/our children such a wonderful gift... a gift that I don't think I'm personally able to give.

As it is, when I know C is going out in the evening... I feel a bit of panic inside of me because I'm left to my own devices with the monsters... meant in the kindest way :). But somehow I always manage. The house isn't always as lucky :).

I can understand or at least empathize with you.

I hope today you are feeling less defeated!

Laura said...

What is it with the evenings? I think they are all programmed from birth to lose it at approximately 5:00pm. This is one of the things that drives me crazy about working during the day. My mom gets the pleasant child, I get the beast that emerges in the evenings. Doesn't seem fair.

Huge huge hugs to you sweetie!!!!!!!