Thursday, November 10, 2005

My Baby is 9 Months Old Today

How is it possible that so much time has passed? Nine months ago tonight my baby girl was ensconced in the NICU surrounded by tubes and wires, under the oxygen tent thingy and pissed off at the entire world. My arms ached to hold her - and I did ever so briefly before I started throwing up. Then it was back to my room for the rest of the night. I wouldn't see her again until morning.

Her birth was supposed to be a routine repeat c-section but once she came out into the world she decided that breathing just wasn't her thing. She preferred just hanging out, free floating in the warm darkness. Pull her into the bright, cold room? Forget it! So - she held her breath and played possum. Well now - that won her a fast trip to the NICU where I still don't exactly know what took place. D went with her and showed up later in my room with pictures on the digital camera.

I did get to see her briefly about two hours after she was born. So much chaos and confusion. It was so hard to watch her being poked and prodded. Not the birth experience I had wanted for any of us, that's for sure.

But - here we are. Nine months to the day later. I have a healthy, thriving daughter who crawls all over the place, babbles incessantly (which I can't get enough of), and is growing like a weed. The trauma of her birth seems so far removed from the child she is today. With the lungs on her I don't think many people would believe that she had no interest in using them nine months ago. :)

I took her in for her nine month well-baby visit today. She weighs in at 21lbs and is 28.5 inches long (or is that tall?). My girl isn't far behind the weight and length of the prince when he was 9 months...which surprises both D and me. She seems so small to us. But then, the prince wasn't even crawling by this age and we see her cruising all over, standing alone for brief instances and doing various other things I never dreamed possible at this age.

You should see her thighs! I just have to get a picture of them. No kidding - she looks like a Summo Wrestler if you were to just look at her legs. That *has* to be where at least 5lbs of her weight is hiding (or not hiding.....). It's just too much. :)

Happy Nine Month Birthday Baby Girl! I can't imagine life without you in it. Your smile lights up my world and your laugh warms the deepest parts of my soul. I am so lucky to know you - and luckier still to love you and be loved in return.









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time sure flies! Happy 9th Month little Princess! :o)

Sonya said...

Happy 3/4 birthday Princess!

I'm shocked that S is bigger at 6 months than the Princess is at 9 months. Wow!

Shawna said...

Awww!

Reece says happy 9 month birthday princess!

Catherine said...

I love the early pics. What you wrote was so full of love for your little girl, that I teared up.