Saturday, May 21, 2011

Carpet Cleaning Day!

Oh happy day! And no, it isn't because I believe the rapture will really take place though if it does, I just might be super pissed. You see, today I am getting my carpets cleaned!

You have no idea how happy this seemingly small event is to me. I am the caretaker of the dogs for now and Jordan just turned 14. I'm here to tell you, getting old when you are a dog is not a dignity filled event. He has lost most, if not all, of his hearing as well as his ability to hold his poop until safely in the yard. The other thing he has lost? His ability to walk to the slider and paw on it as he has done for years to let me know he needs outside. Now? Now he just walks to the slider and stands there. This works well if I am awake and paying attention to his every move. You know when it does not work well? In the wee hours of the morning when I am sleeping.

Ah but that's ok. This throw rug right here? That works just as well. But why stand in one place? Walk around a little. Take a tour of the house as you poop. And then? Then just go back to your bed like nothing happened. No worries. The stench will wake the dead so someone will clean it up.

Needless to say, my lack of sleep has moved to a new level because now I am alert all night to hear the sound of his collar which means he is on the move. I jump up and get him outside. Like I said, getting old isn't for the weak. Unless you are talking anal muscle control. *sigh*

Last week, just to crank up the fun I had recovery from surgery, Jordan seemed to have picked up a doggy virus. From where I'm not sure but he was silent puking and had diarrhea for D.A.Y.S. It was lovely. But finally the pepto caplets took control and that special hell ended. The stains, however, live on.

Resolve Spot Remover couldn't do it. It usually does a good job on the regular accidents but last week? Ummm...no. And hey - the carpet cleaner I have in the garage? For some reason it has decided to stop working. I believe that is the third cleaner I've had in the almost 9 years I've lived here that has said "Ahhhh...ummm....no thanks. This dirty of a house is not in my contract. I QUIT!" *sigh*

So I called the experts and they will be here this afternoon. Thank goodness!

After all is said and done, I will place aluminum foil under the casters of furniture and bask in the knowledge that my carpets are clean once again. At least for a while.

I can totally understand now why my great aunt used to cover her carpeting and furniture in plastic covers. I totally get it.


***sidenote: my house isn't gross to the naked eye. It's only gross if you have to live with it all the time. I do actually pride myself on being a decent housekeeper. But I do long for the days when I don't have muddy paw prints, dog hair everywhere and poop in the house to deal with. Just saying. It's the stuff dreams are made of.

No comments: