Friday, February 11, 2011

True Colors

We've all heard the phrase before; "Your true colors are showing." This phrase is clearly used as a weapon, to make you doubt yourself or question what you have done. At it's core, it is designed to make you feel like crap.

I was on the receiving end of this phrase this afternoon and, as I mulled it over I thought "Is showing your true colors really a bad thing?" I don't think it is. Being who you really are is what we should be working to achieve. Being who you are and true to yourself is a good thing. Saying "I don't need that in my life." and walking away is being honest about what you know about yourself and what you want for yourself. You don't stay in it because someone else will be upset...or hurt...or angry.

Maybe what it is more accurately is that person is seeing clearly, for the first time, who you are instead of who they wanted you to be. What you "did" effectively ripped the rose colored glasses from their eyes so they can FINALLY see you for who you are. That isn't bad. That is a relief.

We all have jobs to do in life. And I'm not talking about the ones that provide a paycheck either. My self-assigned job is to learn how to be honest to who I am and what I need (and don't need) in my life. I do not need to surround myself with people that don't fed my soul in some way.

So I'm making changes. And as they saying goes, you just might be one of those changes.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

You are a stronger person then I. I'm glad you are doing what is best for yourself and not those around you.