Monday, February 14, 2011

A Good Valentines Day

I had a really nice Valentines Day. Kelton has been running a fever since Saturday evening so he was home from school today. After getting Kaylen off to her day of learning and partying, Kelton and I snuggled in together and hung out. (Oh - and there was a very sweet gift waiting on my porch when I got back from taking Kaylen to school. It made my day!!! Thank you!!!)

We were both very tired from our night of broken sleep. The kitten kept me awake until after 11:30 which is when Kelton came wandering into my room wanting to sleep in my bed. I got him settled and we slept for a few hours. He slept better than me since his snoring and sleep talking kept waking me. :) At 3:00, Kaylen wandered in so I scooted over and made room. 3:15 found Kelton getting up because he was miserable. I dosed him with Motrin and he went to watch TV for a while. I tried to sleep but it isn't as easy as you would think when you know you have a child awake in the middle of the night.

At 4 he came back in and asked if he could take a bath (my kids love to take baths when they don't feel well). I told him he could and then I went back to dozing as I kept one ear open for him. He finally got out and he returned to the living room to watch some TV before heading back to his own bed at 5:30. My alarm went off at 6:30 and our day started.

Anyway - hanging out and vegging in front of the TV was just what we needed. He was bugging me and bugging me about taking him to school for his party. To pacify him, I said if he had no fever at 10, and it stayed gone, I would take him for his party at 2. I knew there was very little chance of this happening. Sure enough, his temp shot back up as soon as the Motrin wore off. By then, he was feeling cruddy enough that he had stopped asking. :(

I left him here when I ran over to the school at lunch recess and back again and then we had a very quiet afternoon. I always know when he is really sick because he stays in a little quiet lump on the couch. It's so sad. :(

At 2:30 we both went over to the school to pick up Kelton's Valentine goody bag and wait for Kaylen. I went into the classroom and was greeted by a chorus of "Where is Kelton?!?!" I explained that he was in the car waiting for me but that he was very sick and would be out a couple days. I gathered his stash, said Happy Valentines Day to the kids (and received an onslaught of returned good wishes - I just love being known in the school!) and took it out to him. He excitedly opened everything and I was so happy to watch him. Soon I went over to Kaylen's room to pick her up and we headed home so the kids would lay out their stashes and oooh and aaaah over it all.

After that, Kelton was exhausted so he disappeared to the couch to rest. The afternoon and evening went by quietly but I did manage to get some food into the boy. They are in bed now and we are all hoping for a better night.

All in all, it was a really nice Valentines Day and I got to spend some really special time with my son, who I feel I rarely get to myself these days. I wish he felt better but it's kind of nice to have him with me, too.

I hope you all had a good day!

No comments: