Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Wednesday

First and foremost - the most important news of the day is:
Kelton lost another tooth! This makes tooth #5 handed over to the Tooth Fairy. Apparently he lost it during math time at school and when he bounded into the library/book fair this afternoon he was glowing with excitement! After showing me and telling me all about it he grabbed the phone and called Dakota. So, so, so cute! I just love how excited he was especially given the fact that this tooth has been loose for a while but he had decided against anyone touching it AT.ALL. So basically - it just fell out all by its little self. And he couldn't be happier.

I have it on good authority that the Tooth Fairy is planning to leave a crisp $1.00. :)

Secondly: the book fair is going really, really well. Grandparents morning was today and let me say, grandparents are *very* early prompt people. The event started at 8:45 and yet the room was buzzing with activity by 8:30. Dakota's mom and step-dad met the kids at the school and the four of them checked out everything, bought several things and then moved on for a tour of the building. I hear Kelton introduced them to his teacher when they delivered the book they purchased for her from her wish list.

I was so busy that I couldn't interact with anyone at all. I was ringing up sales as fast I possibly could.

By 9:30 the book fair area was emptied out and I was counting out the registers. In less than an hour, those wonderful grandparents and other family members bought over $1100 in books. I was totally blown away.

Kaylen is clearly getting *very* comfortable in the book fair area. So much so that I spent a good portion of they day asking her to lower her voice. I'm sure the computer science teacher, who holds his class on the other side of the library, will be thrilled when we are done.

Kaylen and Jeri's daughters watching a movie on our portable DVD player.

By the end of the day we were all more than ready to be on our way but once we leave the school I still have to go to the bank to deposit the money. Tonight that "little" job took 45 minutes and lots of frustration. The teller miscounted and her total didn't match mine (we triple counted so I knew we couldn't be off) so she ran it twice and finally came up with the missing $3.00. The coin counter jammed on me and it required someone to come clear it out (turns out that some of the bags that catch the coins as it sorts were full). The kids were, in my opinion (and yes, I know I have high expectations), acting ridiculous and I kept having to go over to the toy area and remind them to be quieter. When we were finally walking out the door another customer caught up with me and said "You know - I thought they did really well in there. I've taken my kids before and it can be really trying but I think they did great. You have good kids."

I know I have good kids...actually, I know I have *amazing* kids. I just know they were a bit rambunctious (especially Kaylen). Though I guess after being on good behavior for the past three days without much of a break for just screwing around I guess they did ok.

By the time we were in the car, it was closing in on 5:30 so I decided to stop at McDonald's. We hit the drive through and came home to eat.

Then it was time to hang the posters that Grandma and Grandpa bought for them. Kaylen stuck with her puppy theme and added "Snuggle Puppy" to her poster from last year. Kelton once again proved his "big kid" status by choosing a sports car poster.

After I hung it for him he stood back and admired his room. He turned to Kaylen and said "Doesn't my room look like a big kid room now?"

I'm pretty sure I heard my heart breaking. *sigh*



After hanging the posters I tossed the kids in the shower and then into their pajamas. And then, even though it was really bedtime, I let them stay up to watch a tv show together. I feel so awful that they have no time at home this week and no time to just be kids. I know it's short term and by Monday we will be back to life as usual but I have to say - there is an amount of guilt happening this week. I am, however, enjoying working the book fair (which is good since I've been there every day from start to finish with a mid-day break to run home and let the dogs out and feed them) but I'll be glad when it's done.

Tomorrow is all day as well and then we have an evening family event that runs from 5:30-7:30. I'm guessing I'll be home around 8:30 (Dakota is switching her Thursday study night for Friday so that she can take the kids.)

By Friday afternoon I am going to be more than ready to pack it all back up and send it on its way. :)

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I remember my mom doing all these school events. She was the PTO president or something for the school. I remember our garage being full of boxes of wrapping paper, ribbons, chocolates, etc. I'm sure she did the book fair too.
When you return to your normal schedule, you'll think- why did I ever complain there wasn't enough time in the day? LOL. Okay, not really, but the normal day to day stuff will sure feel like a breeze, at least for a while.

Monogram Queen said...

Hooray for a successul run! You do have amazing kids and don't feel bad. Sometimes I have to remind myself to "step back" and let a kid be a kid!