Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Exciting News

Kelton bounded off the bus tonight bubbling over with excitement. He was tested in reading today and he is reading on a solid 2nd grade level! He is thrilled and I, of course, am as well and had the "happy tears" to prove it. Having your child do well and be proud of himself is an amazing experience! I will never, ever grow tired of it happening.

Yay him!!!!

I have to say, I am not surprised. In recent weeks I have noticed his reading skills improve by leaps and bounds - and his excitement with reading is doing the same thing. It is just so cool to watch.

Lately he has volunteered to read Kaylen her bedtime story (I still get to read his though) and it's one of the moments in each day I look forward to. It's surreal to hear him read the stories to his sister that we read to him when he was small. Full circle, I guess.

The other day he discovered the comics. How I adored watching him on his bedroom floor as he read the strips out loud.



I've also noticed lately how "grown up" he is becoming. More able to control himself and think things out before acting. More calm. He's easy to talk with and we have some good conversations. Gone are the days of one sided conversations - now he is an equal, and eager, participant.

I do long for the days when he would drag his blanket ("Baby" is what he calls it, and yes, he still has it but now it's only a bedtime thing.) around the house all the while sucking on his binky asking for juice in a sippy cup but at the same time this new place where he is is truly amazing...and wonderful...and fun. He is growing and changing right before my eyes and every day brings something new.

He is almost seven years old, this little boy of mine. I'm not sure how that happened but here we are. And my baby is reading at a second grade level. And he LOVES to read which thrills me beyond belief.

These are the good times. These are the times that make all the other times worth it. I am so, so, so proud of him.

5 comments:

Tanya said...

Yea, go Kelton! I hope that at some point J is calm, but I seriously wonder sometimes.

Casey said...

Oh believe me - I seriously wondered about Kelton, too. He's not 100% calm by any stretch but waaaaaaay better than when he was 3, 4 or even 5. His 3's and 4's were miserable and I have say, so far, I'm not impressed with Kaylen's 4's either. WTH?!? It's like 4 year olds are possessed. Kelton started that at 3 though - boys seem to do that. Girls wait until you think you're safe and then....oh and then! OY!

Just wait and see what J is like when he is 7. :)

Unknown said...

My 4 year old is showing some definate attitude as well. She was a complete angel at 3. This child is somebody who I dont know sometimes, its crazy!

Yay for Kelton! Its so awesome to hear that he is excelling! Jeri

Monogram Queen said...

I'm proud of him too! I read every day and Madison has commented on that so I hope she inherits my love of reading. I am trying to instill it in her.
Girl don't even get me started on FOUR! I thought "Hah two's & three's were okay" but then she turned into a monster after Christmas. Smart mouthed - won't mind. OMG!!!!!

Tanya said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I kid you not I asked if the daycare had seen his behavior in other kids and they said "not really". Seriously?!? It's mostly just invading personal space and being rambunctious, not even anything like hitting or anger and they have never seen this before? I was starting to think he was ADHD or something. I need to get him around more boys.