Thursday, January 11, 2007

Ten Years Ago Today

Ten years ago today the sun was shining but it was bitter cold. Snow that had been on the ground for almost two weeks was all but melted away. We had had a big storm come through that left us with 22 inches of snow - which is a whole lot of snow for an area that rarely sees more than an inch a year.

Are you wondering why I know the details of the days weather so well? It's because I laid on the freezing ground for 20 minutes wearing nothing but jeans and a shirt. No sweater, no coat. Why was I lying on the ground? Well you see - ten years ago today I fell 6 feet and broke my back. I also cracked my head open but that paled in comparison to the broken back.

I had been jumping a fence on a return trip from capturing our run-away "inside only" cat who loved nothing better than to escape and jump the fence into the neighbors yard. Not wanting to bother the elderly woman who lived in the house with said yard, I declined when she offered to go through the yard and unlock the fence for me. The carport lead to an easy drop down into the yard and I easily accessed the yard, grabbed the little furry run-away and handed her back over our back fence to Dakota's waiting hands. I then returned to the carport area and climbed upon the fence. Sitting there a thought went through my head - a thought that clearly meant I was feeling a little too full of myself. I was 32 years old and sitting on top of the fence I thought smugly "Wow - jumping this fence was so easy. It's not like I'm 18 anymore...." and there my thought ended and I toppled backwards and slammed flat on my back and head. What did I land on? Broken up pieces of cement from the previous walkway they had recently ripped out. Ouch.

After the initial shock, I realized that I couldn't move. At all. I screamed for Dakota and used all my strength to move my legs off of the side of the house, on which they were sort of propped. Dakota jumped our back fence in about 2 seconds flat and attempted to help me up. But I had smacked my head open and there was blood so she gently put me back on the freezing cement pieces and banged on the neighbors window to have her call for help.

Long story short, the ambulance took me to the hospital where it was discovered that I had indeed broken my back. Now this was also the week we were to have the first insemination for trying to get pregnant. Clearly *that* dream was shoved into a deep dark corner of a closet somewhere.

18 months later I had spinal fusion as my back was refusing to heal properly and I was in constant pain.

4 years later we were finally back on the mommy track and now, 10 years later I have 2 amazingly beautiful children and a back that reminds me constantly that I was once laying on the cold ground for 20 minutes wearing nothing but jeans and a shirt.

I can't believe it's been 10 years. In some ways, it feels like a million lifetimes ago and in others, like it was just last year. It's weird how a single moment in time changes your entire life.

12 comments:

Caroline said...

Wow. I had no idea that you had broken your back. I can't imagine how scared you were and how much pain you had to endure through your recovery. It is amazing how one second can change your entire life. I am so thankful that you were ok cause I can't imagine a day without visiting your blog or you visiting mine.

Brenda said...

I remember you sharing that story when I first was getting to know you at MOMS Club. I didn't know you had planned to start trying for a family when it happened.

It's funny how life can take sudden turns when we least expect it. What counts is that your dreams of having a family with D still happened. You have to beautiful children and a very rewarding life! :o)

Mieke said...

My God...what a horrible story. It makes my head hurt just reading it. Poor you! Any left over pain? Or are you painfree?

I am so glad you are ok.

Casey said...

Caroline: I can't imagine not visiting your blog either. Thanks for the kind words.

Brenda: Yes I do. Thank you for being a part of my rewarding life.

Mieke: Pain free? Ummm..no. I have pain every day though it varies from moderate to "oh my gosh I don't think I can move." It makes playing on the floor with the kids challenging some days, that's for sure. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Anonymous said...

Casey! I didn't know that was how you had broken your back! Owch!

I'm very glad you recovered - and that everything has worked out for good.

You are a very wonderful strong person Casey - good for you for making it through!

Gandksmom said...

OMG! How scary. Now about that spinal fusion? Because it looks like I am going to have that surgery in about 3 months or so. Apparently you recovered, but my burning question is....do you still have to take painkillers? And another burning question? Snow, you love snow? ACK...living in the frozen tundra, I can't stand the stuff myself!

Casey said...

Shawna: Thank you! :)

Wendy: No, I do not take RX painkillers any longer. After the fusion surgery the pain was more tolerable and, after a while, you learn how to handle it and just keep moving on with your life. Some days are worse than others and some days are better. Lots of factors come to play - the weather (I have higher pain in the cold since the titanium rod seems to radiate cold), activity levels, lifting/holding the kids, etc - but I just learned how to handle it and keep going. I decided early on that it wasn't going to define who I was and what I am capable of.

That said, I do take regular Tylenol and Midol if my back bothers me too much. Midol seems to help at night more than the Tylenol. But no - I do not take, nor do I have, prescription pain killers. Let me know if you have any others questions and if you are goign through with the fusion, try getting a second opinion to make sure you know all your options. It's a big deal and you want to have all the info you can.

Mieke said...

how could your back handle getting pregnant? Obviously it did, but you must have been very nervous.

Was there ever any discussion after your accident of Dakota getting pregnant instead? So many questions...I have sooo many.

Casey said...

Mieke: I love that you have questions. Feel free to ask whatever you'd like. :)

I *was* worried about increased pain from carrying a baby but the fear wasn't enough to stop me from doing what I have wanted to do all my life. I was as prepared as I could have been but the reality was being pregnant was actually LESS painful than my regular life. Ya just gotta love the relaxen hormone that pregnant bodies create! I wish I could bottle that stuff and take it any ol' time I need it. :)

The second time I wasn't as painfree as I was the first time though still completely manageable.

Yes, we talked about Dakota carrying the kids but it was never a dream of hers, a need of hers or a want of hers to carry a baby like it was for me. She would have, of course, but since I was still determined to do so, that's the route we took. After going through labor (37 hours), pushing (2 hours) and then a c-section Dakota was even MORE sure she would never want to be pregnant and deliver a baby. :)

Me, on the otherhand, I loved every minute of being pregnant with my two and I would love to go through it again. But - our family is complete with the two little ones we have.

Mieke said...

I also loved being pregnant. I even loved labor - I think pushing (which I did very quickly only 8 minutes or so) is probably the most satisfying feeling a woman can ever have. If we had more money and I was younger, I would have more children. I love being in service to babies. As you've read I love love love the cozyness of nursing and all the snuggling that comes with babies.

Since we can't do that...well, there's law school. But man...if I won the lottery I'd throw my pills out the window.

Mieke said...

But then...I didn't push for 2 HOURS!!! Christ oh mighty. I have good Armenian hips for birthin' babies. Wide. Wide. Wide.

Jen said...

I swore about 17 times while reading that story.