Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I'm Loving All The Snow!

But talk with me in a few days to see if the crazies have set in. The ice is supposed to be bad tomorrow and Thursday which means we aren't going anywhere anytime soon. As Dakota so rightly put it this morning: "Dakota doesn't drive in snow and ice." and I echo that quite loudly. What is the point? For us it's all about staying safe and keeping our vehicles in one piece. We know we aren't the world's best snow/ice drivers and we are absolutely sure more others in this area aren't as well.

Dakota stayed home today. Thankfully, for a variety of reasons, she was late getting out the door this morning. By the time she made it into her car, the snow was starting to fall. Listening to the radio brought news that areas around us were already turning ugly. She came back in the house to watch the news and wait a bit. The snow kept coming! One of the people she works with called her cell to say that he wasn't going in - conditions were just too awful in his area. Her supervisor sent word that she wasn't going in either. Soon we learned that even the law school was closing for the day.

A snow day!! Now that is my idea of a slice of heaven. :)

I know lots of you think it's crazy but I love getting out in the snow and playing with the kids. I love pulling them on the sleds, chasing them around and hearing their squeals of laughter and I love, love, love watching Dakota and the kids wrestle in the snow. So much fun. So much laughter. It was awesome.

Tonight while I was putting Kaylen to sleep I asked her if she had had a good day. She looked up at me with a huge smile and said "MmmmmHmmmm" which is baby speak for yes. I asked her what she liked the most today and she tensed up her little body and yelled "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" which is baby speak for SNOW! She was so cute. :)

Needless to say, even though we all had naps this afternoon, the kids went down with a thud. They were wiped out from the hours we spent playing. I have to admit, if Dakota wasn't sitting at the table behind me studying, I'd probably be snug in my bed too. I'm exhausted! It's tiring to have so much fun. :)

Here are a few pics from the day. For a number of reason I don't have too many from today. #1 is I was having too much fun playing with them to keep taking off my gloves, locating my camera in my coat pocket, snapping a photo (trying desperately to capture a moment that was most likely well over), putting the camera away and putting my gloves back on. Too much work and I was missing out on too much. #2 is well..let's face it: same kids, same snow pants and coats. Hard to tell the difference between last Thursdays snow pictures and todays. :) That's a lame excuse, I realize. So sue me. :)

Anyway - here they are:


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
( Yes, it was icy enough for a 4 year old to pull a sled containing a mom AND a sister!)



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Dakota wrestling with the kids.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Just hanging out.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Little snow eater!



And my all time favorite:


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I LOVE this one! :)

6 comments:

Ace of Spades said...

Looks like all are having fun in the snow. We stayed at a friends all weekend snowed in. It was a blast. Stay warm and take many more pics of the fun in the snow.

Sonya said...

LOL... looks like everyone had a blast! I'm glad Dakota was able to stay home today.

Though... I just can't imagine things (like work and school... mmuch less a university) shutting down for that small amount of snow. I know it is a lot for you guys... it just boggles my mind :).

We have snow and it will be sticking around for many more days to come. Our kids are way excited about that! I'll be excited when we get out of the single digets and see numbers that aren't preceeded by a -.

Brenda said...

I'm so jealous! :o)

Caroline said...

Looks like you guys had a really fun day. Snow days are the best. We are still dealing with all the ice that fell over the weekend, which is not fun. But I am excited because they are calling for snow this weekend. I said "Yea" and Laura said, "damn". Can you tell who likes the snow the best in our house.

Shannon said...

Looks like so much fun! Snow days are awesome. Except I never get one anymore because I work from home. :( I did call my boss one day last winter and told her it was too snowy to walk down the hall, but she didn't go for it.

One Boys Mom said...

Maybe the same clothes, but more snow and less grass in these photos!