Thursday, January 18, 2007

Back to Reality

*sigh* Our two and a half days of snow-induced family bliss is over. The temperature reached high enough today to clear the roads which meant Dakota headed to class this afternoon. I have to say that I am no where near ready for snow time to be over. I love it. Seriously love it. I love that it feels like the rest of the world has slowed to a stop and that the four of us are left alone to just "be". No errands. No "have to's". Just time to be together.

I don't think I could ever live where snow is common place (or worse yet, doesn't happen). I love the magic of it - the way life comes screeching to a halt. I know it's a strange concept to those of you who live life with snow all winter since life just continues on despite snow falling from the sky. But see there lies the difference between your worlds and mine: it's not common place here. It's special. It's rare. It's amazing.

We don't have snow plows at the ready with chemicals and road crews. I'm not even sure the city I live in *has* a snow plow. The city across the river has a couple. Why would we? The last time we had any snow worth talking about was three years ago. Last year we had a flurry of snow activity that left us with a dusting for a few hours. That was the sum total for the winter. The winter before, nothing. Kelton was 19 and 21 months the last time we had a "winter storm". It was November 2003 and January 2004. January was an ice storm that kept us under lock and key for almost a week. I have those days, those moments, implanted forever in my memory. Sitting at the backdoor while Dakota braved the ice to bring Kelton and I icicles so we could fling them across the yard on the ice. I can still hear the branches creaking as they tried to sway in the cold wind but couldn't because they were frozen in place. I remember the plastic blow up whale shaped ballpit that took up a good portion of the livingroom. Dakota and Kelton played for hours in that thing. I remember the baking that was done. I can practically smell the brownies.

So all you people who have snow every year, all winter long, you can keep all your snow plows and your chemicals. I want to keep the magic and wonder of snow. I want it to be a miracle each time it falls to the ground. I want to keep my snow days and the time it gives me just to be with my family. To us, an inch or two is just enough to ice the roads, slow things down and bring life into focus.

I don't get cabin fever when it snows. I do, however, feel incredibly sad when the ice and snow melt and life goes back to being the same as always.

Here are a few pictures from yesterday.

4 comments:

Dakota said...

Well said, Honey. I think many of us in this part of the country feel that way. The last time I was at work, before the snow arrived, people were so disappointed that it hadn't snowed as expected. The snow makes things beautiful, peaceful, and yes, magical.
Love you,
D

Brenda said...

Sweet pictures and even sweeter memories. :o)

Caroline said...

Love your pictures. I also love how life slows down just a bit when it snows. For me the world seems more at peace when we have a blanket of snow on the ground.

Shannon said...

Beautifully written. We don't get nearly as much snow here as we used to, and I miss the really crazy snow days.