Thursday, August 25, 2005

So This Is It

Today is THE day. D went into work really early to put in a few hours and now she is in orientation for school. Believe it or not, she will actually have homework tonight - some paper that she has to write based on something they do/learn today. Paper is due tomorrow during the second orientation day.

At least today and tomorrow she will still be home in the evening but some Monday - everything changes.

The prince is completely stressed out. He woke up screaming (and I mean screaming) last night. We asked if he was having a bad dream and he said he was and then babbled on about something that we couldn't make out. By the third time we woke him up completely and talked with him about our trip to the beach and how much fun he had - it must have worked because he didn't scream out again. He did, however, wake two more times and asked us to sit and hold his hand while he fell back to sleep.

The princess had a truly horrible night as well. I was up with her for about two hours - the last hour I sat in the rocking chair and rocked and nursed her until she fell asleep. Then, since it was time for D to leave, I came out into the main part of the house to say good-bye. Back to bed I went only to be woke up 15 minutes later by the prince.

I had him crawl into bed with the princess and I and I started to drift off. Then I heard "Mama...baby (his blanket) is too warm. Need cold one." I said "Ok - go get one off your bed." (He has three) "No - you get for me." Grumbling, off I went.

I hadn't been back in bed more than 5 minutes when I heard "Wake time, Mama. Want to watch TV." "Ok....it's all set up in the living room - just go in and turn it on." Of he goes.....but never fear, he's back in 10 minutes. He wants a different show. Fine. I get up, convince him to watch TV in our room, turn it on and go back into the princess' room to crawl back in bed. Yeah right. Ten minutes later I'm up for good. Ugh.

All told, I logged about 3 hours of broken sleep and I am really not liking the decision I made to stay up until 11:30pm last night. It sounded like a good idea - time together on our last "school free" night but, in my defense, I had no idea that the kids would have such a bad night.

I'm hoping they nap at the same time and for a few hours this afternoon. But, before that can happen, I have to get us ready and out the door for playgroup. It's so hard to be motivated when you are so freakin' tired.

1 comment:

Estelle said...

I'm sorry love. I know today is a horribly stressful day for you even with plenty of sleep.
I know the next three years will suck, but this is going to be a wonderful step for your family. And when D is some hot shot attorney taking on the logging companies and making headlines around the world (and tons of money) I can always say "I knew you when."
Feel free to come over for dinner tonight. Anything you want, even pizza :)