Thursday, August 25, 2011

End of the Line

Summer. All but over. I think I can hear the beginning strains of taps playing in the background. I'm not ready.

The weather is finally hot. As in HOT. I have a feeling this fall is going to be uncomfortably warm. I might be way off base but I think with the changes in the world, our seasons have shifted, ever so slightly. The summer starts later and runs later and winter? Well - it never ends. The cold dark wet days will be here before I know it. I'm not ready.

I want to have more swimming pool days, long lazy afternoons, late nights on the patio. I want to hear the kids clamour for ice cream, cold drinks and beg to buy the latest and greatest buy xbox games. I want the cats to stretch out on the hot patio and sleep away the afternoon. I want to drink sweet ice tea by the gallon.

I want. I want. I want.

And yet - here we are. The days are winding down at an alarming pace. Today is Thursday. Tomorrow the kids go to Dakota's for the weekend. Then Monday. Monday is the last real summer day. Tuesday is open house at school and Wednesday is the first day.

And I'm not ready.

No comments: