Thursday, June 18, 2009

Last Day of First Grade

Yes indeed - today is the last day of school for Kelton! In one hour and 24 minutes I will have a second grader living in the house. I am so proud of my little guy - he has done such a great job in school this year. The things he has learned have amazed me and, looking back, he has grown by leaps and bounds in both the physical AND academic manner. The first grade of today is not at all like the first grade of my time (you know - back when dinosaurs roamed free). The things they know coming out of first grade is truly something.

The year has gone by so quickly - it seems like not that long ago that we were putting him on the bus for his first full day at school. Well - for that matter it seems like not that long ago we were leaving a tearful little guy in his kindergarten room.....and now? Now we have this fantastic kid poised to step into second grade.

Like last year, Kelton opted to wear the exact same clothes for the last day as he wore on the first. I went through the photos yesterday to refresh my memory and then I went through his closet to find the shirt. Sadly though I didn't look closely enough at the photos to realize he was wearing his light brown cords and not jeans. I completely spaced on the fact that he refused to wear jeans back then because of the snap/button issue. Since he lost so much weigh over the year, he can now shimmy them on and off without needing to unsnap or botton. See? Who said losing all that weight didn't have an upside?) I find it odd in some ways that he hasn't really outgrown his clothes since kindergarten because yes, he can still wear the shirt he wore to his first and last day of kindergarten. A few random things here and there have been outgrown but mostly, it's all the same stuff. I see it good in this way: I have very little back to school clothes shopping to do for him since I still have the bin of stuff in the garage that I had bought for him to wear this year that he hasn't yet grown into. :)

And now for the compare and contrast part of the fun......take a look at how much my guy has changed in the past 9 months. I am stunned because, to me, he looks exactly the same and always has. But clearly the photos tell another story. Such a big kid he is now.


3 comments:

Caroline said...

Congrats to Kelton!!! I love how you compare his first day and his last day of school. I know this is something he will enjoy looking back on one day.

Enjoy your summer. I know you are thrilled to have him home with you again.

Unknown said...

Garrett wore the same swim trunks for 5 years straight. There are still tshirts he wears from a couple years back. Boys differ a lot from girls. I think its because their clothes arent as form fitting... but also G has always been skinny. Nice blog Casey! Jeri

Kristen said...

wow what a change! yay for Kelton