Wednesday, June 03, 2009

I ROCK!

I just wanted to post and tell you all how much I rock. I mean - I rock HARD! I'm just sayin.......

This morning when I opened the blinds in Kelton's bedroom I noticed, much to my utter dismay, that Maddie had knocked out fence boards YET AGAIN! Now mind you, Dakota just fixed a board in that section this weekend. A section that has been bad since the winter storm. Well - to be fair, it was bad before that but the winter weather made it even worse. At one point, Dakota and the neighbor had to work on the section and brace it back up as it was all but on the ground. The fence is old. Very, very old but neither the neighbors not us are in the pace to be able to replace the entire thing.

Skip ahead to this morning. I went out there to check out the damage and what I needed to do to make it function. Shaking my head in frustration, I knew the only logical thing was to replace the section.

Never mind that my day was already busting at the seams of things needing to be done.

The dogs are in the house when we leave so I knew all was well for now. I went forward with my busy morning of being at the school to do yo yo inventory, paperwork and taking everything to the UPS Store for shipping back. My fellow PTO-er, Ingrid, and I gathered the things to tonight's Kindergarten RoundUp and troubleshot a few million other things. And then off to Home Depot Kaylen and I went.

After handing over $45.00 for 16 fence boards, two 2x4's, metal bracing for the cross bars and a box of galvanized screws we were on our way home.

In only an hour I had rebuilt the fence section. The board spacing? Not perfect but definitely respectable. And most importantly? It's solid. YES!

This is a great example of how life has changed in the past 4 years. I can promise you that 5 years ago I would have NEVER attempted to replace a fence section. But today? I looked at it, counted boards, made my list (and ONE trip to Home Depot, thankyouverymuch!) and tackled the job.

And you know why? It's because I ROCK!








It's a thing of beauty, isn't it? :)

17 comments:

Dakota said...

YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!!!!!

You are THE BEST EVER!!

Love,
Dakota, Who is very impressed and grateful

Anonymous said...

Wow girl! You do rock. I am very impressed with your work. I must admit that I would not be able to do that! Great job.

Heidi

Sara S. said...

I'm impressed, too! If I attempted that it would have taken me all week to finish!

A Jersey Girl said...

You do Rock Girl!!! Way to go!!! And it looks awesome too!


Emily

Tribe Mama said...

Wonderful work Casey! You DO Rock!

Anonymous said...

So..... $45.00 per section. A section a month....how many sections are there???? Seems like that is doable...now that you are a professional carpenter.

You Rock!!!

PS Tell Dakota to keep an eye out for the mailman, I mean postal employee, as I think something is winging its way toward her.

Love,
Lynn and Di

Casey said...

Lynn,
I was thinking along the same lines. It wasn't nearly as much money as I feared going in. Let's see...there are 8 more sections (plus another around the gate that should be replaced as well) so we're looking at $405 more for that side. And then....the fence on the other side of the yard is in the same sorry shape. But providing the 4x4's are all as solid as the two I worked with today, it would be doable in small bites. Replace the worst of the worst sections first and then move from there.

You know....now that I know I CAN! :)

And I will be sure to let Dakota know. We miss you guys!

Mimi said...

OMG there is no way I would even tried to do that......you go girl........you rock.....My husband would pass out if I did something like that....

Caroline said...

I am totally impressed!!

Unknown said...

Very nice Casey, you need to pat yourself on the back. I would never even attempt to do something like that. Let alone TRY and buy the stuff at Home Depot. Jeri

Anonymous said...

very impressive. I didn't even know you knew how to use a hammer. Next thing I know, you'll be cooking 5 course meals......
-L

Casey said...

I didn't use a hammer, silly. I used screws and the big ol' DeWalt electric drill/screwdriver thingy. :)

And cooking? Let's not loose our heads here. :)

Unknown said...

Wonderful Job! I'm not sure I would have tried it either. But it looks fantastic. Don't you love new fence? Now you'll be tempted to do the whole rest of it.

Sheri said...

Well done! Now, can you teach me? Holey Moley ... if I toe-nail one more board into a rotted board one more time, it will be too many (I think there may be more nails than board at this point). Seriously, it looks awesome!

Melanie said...

Ok, I'm only 2 days behind!! You made it sound like I was WAAAAAY behind. ;) GREAT JOB!!! :)

Kristen said...

great job!

Melanie said...

And here I am on Sunday, and there are no updates! ;) hee hee. Just checking!!