Monday, June 01, 2009

Happy Blogging Day!



It's that time of year again. The time when Lesbian, Gay, Bi and Transgendered families stand up and say "Hi. We're here and we aren't all that different from you."

So....Hi. We're here and we aren't all that different from you. :) I've been blogging about my family's adventures since July 2005. I was gearing up to begin a 4 long year stint of de-facto single parenting while my partner attended law school. At the time she started school we had a 6 month old baby girl and a 3.5 year old son. Anyone who has lived through the three's with a son knows I deserve some sort of medal...or at least a mental breakdown. Of which I had several. :) For a good time, go back and read through the archives. It's funny now...but not so much as the time. :)

We just completed the law school portion of our program. Dakota graduated last Saturday and this past Tuesday began an 8 week bar review course. So really? We aren't seeing her anymore than when she was in school but at least the end is in sight.

Our son, Kelton, is completing the first grade and, as he will tell you, will be second grader in 18 days. How did THAT happen? He is a silly, funny, amazing and beautiful child full of spunk and spirit. He never, ever fails to make me laugh....and he never, ever fails to make me pull out my hair. He is seriously one of the best thing I have ever done in my entire life.

Our daughter, Kaylen, is 4 years old going on 25. No, really. She would amaze you as much as she does us. The only thing we can figure out about her is she is an old soul who brought with her a great deal of knowledge and wisdom. She is wise far beyond her years and honestly...it can creep both of us out. She often talked of her "old family" and one time she told us in great detail how she "drown under the water and then lived with really pretty people who took care of her." I kid you not. She used to talk of it all the time she was around 2.5. She still can freak us out with the things she says. And before you ask, no we don't let her watch grown up TV shows and I'm pretty sure Dora the Explorer or Maggie and the Ferocious Beast aren't teaching her this stuff. But...what do I know? Maybe it's subliminal programming. :)

As for me, I'm a 44 year old stay at home mom. I have the same struggles as every mom in America. I worry a crazy amount about absolutely everything and I love my family with the fierceness of a bear. And I am also running very behind this morning. I am due at my son's school in 5 minutes and my daughter isn't even dressed yet. See? I really am just like you. :)

To find out more about us, and our crazy life, come back often. This summer is sure to be an experience as we navigate a summer without Mama, the bar exam......and life. Welcome! And I hope you visit often.


To read blogs of other LGBT Families go here.

4 comments:

Tribe Mama said...

Such a great program...maybe if more people read your blog and those of other GLBT families, they would see that a family is a family, full of love, hard work and dedication to one another :)

Now go be a regular, crazy, busy mom!

Caroline said...

What a great post. You are such an amazing person Casey....you should be so proud of the family you have.

And yes, I do believe Kaylen is an old soul. I can even see that in the pictures you share with us.

A Jersey Girl said...

Casey! I am glad you reminded me to blog! I forgot last year!

I cannot thank you enough for helping me become more involved in this cause! I hope that someday, very soon, families can be families no matter the players! And that they are all recognized as families!

Emily

Monogram Queen said...

Casey I have often thought to myself "I wish so much that people who are homophobic could just READ your blog". You are as normal as it gets and so many eyes would be opened I think. Plus you are a fantastic writer!!!