Thursday, June 18, 2009

IT'S SUMMER TIME!

My boy is home!!!!!!

Kaylen and I went over to the school at 11am to be there for the closing of school (he had wanted me to drive him home). When we walked into the main office it was complete chaos with kids running here and there with their autograph books. The excitement was sky high!

I checked all my PTO stuff and then we headed out to a bench to wait. The computer lab teacher, who I've gotten to know pretty well this year, sat with me and we chatted a bit. The conversation focused a bit on how the district has changed the start time for Kelton's school so it will be an early start which means he will go an hour earlier in the morning and be home an hour earlier at night. I actually like that a lot though I will miss the extra time in the morning. The trade off though is having him home at 3 instead of 4. Nice! Until Monday our school was still slated as a "late start" so this news caught everyone by surprise.

Soon Kelton appeared in front of us and kids started streaming from everywhere! Kelton decided to see if Kaylen could ride the bus home with him. I was pretty sure the answer would be no but he went off to ask his driver anyway. To my surprise, she let Kaylen ride the bus home! (I see this as another plus to getting to know the school stuff and bus driver over the year. It's nice to be known around the school.) She sat them in the front seat so she could watch her and soon they were on their way. I drove home to meet them and two happier kids you have not likely seen. As the bus drove away Kelton screamed "I'M A SECOND GRADER!"

His report card is excellent (the actual letter formation in writing still isn't on the excellent side but we're going to work on legibility this summer)! He was placed in the advanced placement class for next year (his teacher and I talked with we waited for the buses to load) and he is thrilled to know he will be with the teacher he most wanted. Yay Kelton - I am SO SO proud of you!!!! He is actually being recommended for the special math program they have for advanced students. Wow.

So - all in all, the year ended on a very high note. And just for fun, here are a few photos of the bus ride home.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! My guy got out of school a couple weeks ago and I was so excited to have him to myself all summer! He also is so happy to be a second grader!

Heidi

Mimi said...

That is one of the pluses to be KNOWN at school...... I was KNOWN at school and LOVED it

Julie said...

Connor's school is now starting at 9:35 instead of 8:50. Maybe they switch off every so many years or something?

Melanie said...

Yay for Kaylen riding the bus! Yay for Kelton graduating 1st grade! :) Yay for you getting both "babies" home for the summer!!