Wednesday, June 10, 2009

TAKE THAT!

It's Wednesday and for the second Wednesday in a row I was forced to deal with a home repair project that I was none too thrilled with. This week the main bathroom toilet decided to begin flushing painfully slow. I mean the slow that makes you stop in your tracks and slowly creep back into the bathroom wondering if you are going to find water beginning to cascade from the bowl. The slow that starts ringing the alarm bells in your head. Non-working toilets are very, very bad.

Monday found me plunging and plunging and dumping bucket after bucket of hot water down to see if something would give way. And it worked - at first. Yesterday I noticed it not being quite right again and last night it was definitely not right. *sigh*

Dakota was out the door this morning with a kiss, a hug and a "Good luck with the toilet." UGH! I don't WANT to have to fix the toilet. Do I LOOK like a handyman? No. No I do not. But knowing full well I had no choice in the matter I put Kelton on the school bus and loaded Kaylen into her car seat. Off to Home Depot we went.

I knew I needed a snake. Beyond that - I was clueless and apprehensive. I found the right aisle and my eyes fell on something call a 6ft Toilet Auger. I read the label information and checked out my other options (which all seemed rather wimpy next to this bad boy!) The auger was the clear choice because I was NOT coming back to have to buy something else.....and I really, really, really didn't want to have to fork over money to a plumber. I'm cheap that way. :) Plus it promised to not scratch the bowl and hey - I'm all over not having ugly scratches in the toilet bowl.

There was a 3ft one but upon inspection it was only long enough to snake through the toilet itself. If the clog was in the stack (hey - look at me! I learned something today!) then it wouldn't reach it. The 3ft one was $31.00. The 6ft one was $49.00 (plus tax, mind you). That's a lot of money to unclog a clog but waaaaay less than calling a plumber. I weighed the pros and cons and then grabbed the 6ft one. Better safe than sorry, you know?

As I was putting it in the back of the car a guy walked by and said "Good choice! That's an excellent product - you won't be sorry. I use mine all the time and it's great! Lifetime warranty, too. Good that you got the 6ft one. Easy to use...blah blah blah." I'm awful but at first I thought "You use it ALL the time? How good could it be?" I thanked him and he walked around my car and got into his van.....PLUMBER! He was a plumber. Ok then!

Feeling better about forking over that kind of money I drove home. I set Kaylen up with an activity and then got down to business. I carefully followed the step by step (with drawings!) instruction and just as I was thinking "I must be doing this wrong..." the cord hit something and then pushed through. And just to let you all know I was wise in my decision making - the clog was inches away from the end of the 6ft line. INCHES! The 3 footer wouldn't have even come close to clearing it.

VINDICATION!!

I retracted the auger and then stood there, unsure if I should try to flush. I finally did and VIOLA! Success! It flushed perfectly fine. YAY ME!

I stood and flushed it four more times for the mere satisfaction.

I did it! I can now add "plumber" to my resume. :)

Check out this bad boy. I found this photo through Google and I have to say - mine is much, much prettier. No rust on mine....yet. :)



Admit it - you're a teensy bit impressed right now, aren't you? :)

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I am supremely in awe of you, because there is NO way I would have even gotten to the point of what to get at Home Depot, let alone find the right aisle! And THEN to go home and use it, HA! Not me... Jeri

Tribe Mama said...

Awesome work Casey! Think of all the skills you now have that you never knew you would need as a stay at home mom!

Rainbow Momma said...

Waaaaay freakin' impressed! Go you! That's awesome.

Zach said...

wow! I am so impressed. I've never even figured out how to shut off the water (i imagine you had to do that first, right?). Learning how to sucessfully plunge was a big milestone for me, but I stopped advancing my plumbing skills after that point. : )

Tanya said...

You go girl! Can you come do mine since my maintenance man spouse is too wrapped up in school? :)

Caroline said...

First the fence and now the toilet. Maybe you should start your own "fix it" company. I am impressed!!!!

Unknown said...

Yes indeed, I am impressed. And way to show us right in your blog all the new words you've added to your vocabulary! I think you're going to have to start a Mrs. Fixit blog.

momtothreeboys said...

Yup, I am impressed! Go YOU!
I would never have had the guts to do what you did...you are awesome! And you should be very, VERY proud!

amy4 said...

That is awesome Casey!! You even inspired me to fix a plumbing problem I've had for a long time in my bathroom. It was such an easy fix (just did a search on Google)- I just needed a little inspiration!! :)THANKS!!

Shannon said...

I'm totally impressed! Good job!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Nikki, now is the time to replace the "Princess" personalized license plate to "Mrs Fix It" You rock Casey!

Dakota said...

My Wife Rocks!!

Anonymous said...

excuse me but..... weren't you staying at my house way back when and the toilet did the exact same thing. And we bought the heavy duty plunger which DID NOT WORK. And then we bought the "toilet snake"? And our lives were so much better! Yup, that toilet snake rules! And anyone that doesn't have one needs to go buy one TODAY! Because you and I both know, they are going to NEED it!
-L

Sheri said...

I'm impressed! That auger thing looks a little intimidating. Go Casey!

Melanie said...

YAY Casey!! :) I took the wimpy route and paid the darn plumber a couple of months ago... :(